Best Used Solid State Amp for less than $5000?

I'm sort of toying with the idea of upgrading my amp (threshold S300 - I know, its old) and the one amp that jumps out is the pass X250 which seems like it can be had for about $3000 to $3500 on the used market. Is there anything else that comes to mind? I can't afford the Tenor hybrids and even the Lamm SS's are about $7 to $9K. The rest of my system is as follows:

CF PFR
Fanfare FT-1
Parasound Ultra 2000 CD
Nakamichi DR1 deck
Stax Lamda phones
Sota Star table w / emt
Pass Aleph ono phono
Hales T8 loudspeakers

Would appreciate any suggestions you may have.
russellrcncom
You said used. No question in my mind, then. A McCormack DNA-225 bought used and sent immediately to Steve McCormack for his Platinum Upgrades. And, you'll have money left for a PC and IC. A review on these upgrades soon.
Uh...4Yanx....I have a confession to make. I pulled the trigger about 6 months ago and purchased the Ayre V-5x. Guess that puts me in Bigtee camp now, doesn't it? I sent mu unit to Ayre two weeks ago to have the evolution upgrade. Funny that Bigtee didn't chime back with his impression on the evolution upgrade. Maybe you put the fear of g-d in him. I miss hearing from him.

He is dead right on though when he stated that this amp does not grab you by the throat. The best thing that can be said about it is its noise floor. The Mccormack with the upgrades against the Ayre evolution series would be worth a new thread.....any takers?
Have any used a Plinius, BAT or Pass Labs Solid States with line sources such as the Pipe Dream Loudepeakers rated at 95 decibels? Any suggestions in an RCA cabled system with Hovland HP 100 pre-amp?
A newer Pass Labs 250 Reno hifi has excellent deals on them
Excellent amp with excellent service as well as resale value.none better at the $5k and under mark.