Best turntable under $4000

I am looking to take the next step in my analog journey. I currently am using a Fluance RT85 with ortofon 2m blue. I have a Rogue Audio cronus magnum iii. I am running them with Kef 104/2 's. Fluance seems to get alot of hate on here. I was considering a cartridge upgrade but I am hesitant to upgrade more then the cost of the table. I don't hear much background noise and like the sound. I guess I am wondering if I don't know I hear noise because I have not heard a turntable that eliminates that noise? When I went from my Onkyo to my Rogue Sphinx iii I realized I had been missing a whole lot of sound. Then I ditched my rebuilt EPI M150's and heard hidden instruments in tracks I have listened to for years. I am looking for that in a turntable upgrade.  Apperance is important. I have interest in the following:

Clear Audio Concept Wood w/ maestro v2

Mofi fender precisiondeck w/ mastertracker

Stretching my budget is:

Dr. Feikert Volare no cartridge

Gold Note Pianosa no cartridge

These take me out of my budget once I get a cartridge

Any other reccomendations 

I will miss the autostart function for those buzzed listening nights. I would like the 4k to include a cartridge. Any opinions are welcome. Anyone think I should say screw the "rules" and get an Ortofon black?

Thank you in advance

cpdkee

Showing 1 response by kahlenz

The vintage and used stuff is great for the dedicated hobbyist, but can be problematic for someone who would prefer to have a trouble-free modern table and use readily available carts. In the under 4k price range I would seriously consider the Technics SL1200GR (which sounds almost identical to the G) with a Hana SL or a Rega P6 with the Ania (both around $2.5k with great entry level MC carts that will pair well with your Cronos Magnum phono section). Spend the money you save on records!

If you want to spend more, the Technics SL1200G or the Rega P8 would be good choices, but both would take you over your budget when you add decent carts.