Best tube-based phono stage?

I'm asking for a friend. I'm a digital guy. Don't be haters!
realremo
It sounds like your pal is not into very expensive gear and I think the OM5 cart is MM. I would not go with tube and I love tubes for everything else. The permissible noise level for a phono stage is miniscule the best sounding tubes in terms of tone tend to be old stock which are getting very scarce as truly unused. Used tubes get noisier with some age or so it seems. My whole hearted suggestion from this all tube guy otherwise for about $450 is the Graham Slee Gram Amp 2SE. It is appropriate for MM or high output MC. the sound is far better than its relatively low cost would suggest.
Best? Aesthetix Io Eclipse

Outrageously Excellent? Atma-Sphere MP-1

Would be helpful to know a price range your friend may be willing to work within.
I'm posting as quick as I can! But I agree this site sux now.
I have info from my friend: $1000 or less (preferably under $800) for both the deck and the phono stage, definitely MM, will be using the venerable NAD 3020 for amplification at first, will be going with headphones until he can afford some standmounts. Don't know which cans he uses, but I know he has a pair of Grado SR80i's.
Thanks guys.
I believe Jarobertson is refering to the excessive moderation that has been in place since the A'gon "upgrade" was put in place. It ruins the flow of the conversations, IMHO.