Best tonerarm match for Acutex M320 III STR cartridge

I have lately been having feedback problems with using the bespoken Acutex cartridge in my Dynavector 501 arm. It sounds spectacular until the feedback sets in.Usable information on what tonearm might be a good (or bad), match is not easily found. The tonearm is mounted on my heavy plinth, with my Garrard 401 'table. It sits on a wall mount stand, Brightstar BigRock 2 sandbox, with Edensound large brass footers, that are six pounds each. 

My phono stage is a Modwright SWP 9.0, that has a resistor installed to cut low frequencies. One other factor is a 15" subwoofer that is about 10 feet away, that might be a factor.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and regards,
Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xislandmandan

Showing 2 responses by lewm

For what it's worth, yes, my Lenco is in a slate plinth.  It is further modified in many other ways.  You could say it is a custom turntable that uses the Lenco motor, idler arm and wheel, and platter, and even the platter was treated so as to deaden any tendency to ring.  If you need further details, just ask. Happy New Year to all.
I love the Acutex 320STR III, and I have used it on my Dynavector DV505 and (believe it or not) on my Fidelity Research FR64S, where it really should not work because of the high compliance/high effective mass mismatch. I did use a lightweight (8 gram) headshell on the FR. The DV505 and 501 would have very low effective mass in the vertical plane and high effective mass in the horizontal plane. That is the deliberate intent of the design. There is no reason your Acutex should not work well on the DV501. I would suggest you look elsewhere to solve your problem, but buying a new tonearm is always an adventure, if that’s what you’re after.
Sorry, I did not see the above post where you say you would prefer not to replace the DV501. I agree.  Can you say in more detail what you hear that you call "feedback"?