Best streamer for a returning audio guy

Hello, hope you all can help. My question is what is the most reasonable streamer to try in my system to see if it works for me? 
  A little background is in order . I’m an older gentleman, who was into audio years ago. I’m currently rebuilding my system with newer technology. I have significant older components. Such as Adcom separates, ( not currently using), Yamaha reciever rxa 2000 as a preamp, Rotel amp driving center speaker and rears, crown class d driving main speakers, I have many speaker choices. Currently using Kef 105/2 as mains ( have Martin Logan’s as well) , Martin logan cinema as center, Martin Logan’s a rear surround. All interconnects and speaker wires are morrow audio. 
 I am / was old school with over 1500 vinyl album’s from years of collecting. About 100 cds. One interesting note, this rebirth of my interest in audio came with my wife giving me a turntable for Christmas several years ago. Finally joked it up and after 30 years I was hooked again!!!

On to my question, it appears that almost everyone is now streaming their music. Ok, I understand the concept ( have Sirius in the car) . What is the best unit to try this out. Can’t break the bank, used is ok, actually preferred. Any outlet advice would be appreciated. 
  I’m working to eventually get to the level of most of you. I have visited my local real hi fi store and have heard the”great” components and eventually I’ll get there. Thanks, and looking forward to your replies. Twodogs112.

128x128twodogs112

Showing 19 responses by twodogs112

Thanks, that’s a great suggestion on the ht dilemma. The wife likes movies, so have to keep her happy. I have plenty of speakers to satisfy the need for ht. No need to upgrade them at this time. My end goal is to have separate ht and a separate hi fi system for my music. I have tried receivers for ht and none are up to the task for me. Used a top of the line Sony es for years until hdmi forced me to replace. The yammie is just a stop gap for now. I really can’t see putting $4000 into a dennon, marantz, arcam, or likewise at this time. 
  I’ll just take my time and wait for the good stuff to come up. I would love to get mark levenson or threshold separates it some point. I used a lot of Macintosh in my college days and it’s not for me. No offense to the Mac lovers. One step at a time, and see if it works for me. Thanks to you all.

Thanks for the reply, mr Maynard was a bit demanding. Mangione was far more laid back. Thanks for the input on the node. A Dac  is not a concern for me, have a pop/pulse currently and just ordered a bifrost after much research. As time and funds permit I’ll upgrade to better electronics. I have many other project that take my funds and time. I’m currently restoring a 69 mg for the second time and a few other cats as well . Thanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m currently using the Tammy as a pre amp b cause of the ht capability. My wife likes the movies on the system. I’m currently looking for a reasonable pre for 2 channel as well as ht. I already have an Adcom preamp with my Adcom amp( white faceplates, very rare, bought new!!!). Ran this for years before I could afford a tv!!!

Sound like blue ode is for me. Like the options available. I already have a stand alone Dac. It made a real difference in my cds listening. So no problem there. 
  With regard to streaming audio vs lp. To my ears now there is no comparison. I have several direct to disc recordings, a few Gail recordings, and lots of mobile fidelity lp recordings as well. Comparison between supertramp, the planets, king james( on direct to disc) . Lp’s win every time. A reasonable turntable helps. I like cd’s for the convenience.

Thanks for the advice, all suggestions are welcome. On a funny note, I just discovered Apple TV has music. Who new. Thanks, twodogs112 ( I really have 2 dogs), a westie, and a one eyed beagle!!!!

To ghdprenice, your comments are way out of line. Just because my equipment is older and not a 100,000 system. You lol down on me. I should tell you that I was a sound engineer during my college days. I also worked the board for many well known artists visiting concert venues in my area. Just a few to mention a few, chuck mangione, Maynard furgison, and many others. I also worked the board for the Jacksonville symphony orchestra for several concerts. I am also a trained singer, although that was not my final profession. I am a retired master jeweler with over 40+ years of service to my clients. I have a better ear than most professionals I know. 
  My equipment is what I like, not what someone tells me what I should have based on their own opinion. I had Adcom separates before most people knew what they were. I purchased electrostatic speakers before most knew what they were( acoustat, still have them. Purchased Martin Logan before anyone knew who they were. My Kef 105/2 are perfect in sound and looks, even though they are 40+ years old. Despite the not up to date electronics , I’ll put my system up agains any ones. 
  After a long absence from this hobby, I was seeking advise from those who are more up to date. Not be looked down upon. I can afford whatever I wish to buy, if I so choose. A simple question for you, how many Rolex watches do you own? I have 3. In addition to a collection of fine timepieces you probably could only dream of. 
   Sorry for the rant, I just don’t Belitung being judged by someone who does not know me. Don’t like lp’s , come listen to king James on direct to disc on my system, you might be surprised. 
  Thanks to all who gave objective advice, it’s greatly appreciated. Twodogs112.

Cleeds, I understand your reluctance of owning  a “pricey watch”. However you missed the point. Over many years I learned to respect a person’s interests. After all who needs jewelry? You can’t eat it, sell it, drive it, hear it, etc. I get it. Individuals love their hi fi, others their cars, some have houses, some have boats, on and on. 
  The point was/is I appreciate fine craftsmanship and function. If you wear a Apple Watch that’s great, I do to. I would like to have exceptional equipment like most of you. I’ll get there, but only if it sounds good to me. 
  Above all I learned in life, never judge anyone. I have had clients that drove rusted out pick up trucks purchase $100k pieces of fine jewelry. After I got to know them, I found out that they raised race horses, for tracks like the Kentucky derby. So, I don’t judge anyone, except for their actions. 

Remember, everyone starts somewhere. To some Adcom is their holy grail. To others mark levenson or prima Luna. To each his own.
  Thanks to all those who have been helpful. I’ll take your suggestions to heart. 

Ok, moving on. Thanks for all the kind advice. To those who look down on , you are entitled to your own opinion.  I  think I’ll just move on from this forum. I don’t take lightly to those who think they are better than me!!!!

Wow, didn’t intend to create a firestorm here. I’m not interested in changing my whole system. I have looked at the blue sound node and even though somewhat expensive for a “try it out” . I’m looking for one used for a reasonable price. Again I’m not looking to replace my system, just looking to add to it. Thanks to all. 
 I’m happy to provide some entertainment to some of you!!! Joke!!!

Got a new Mac book pro. Still discovering what it can do. I managed to load all my music from my asus laptop to an old iPod. Then loaded it all on a thumb drive. Next step will be pictures from the asus. Can’t get my system due to renovations to my house. Delays with materials is a pain. Everything is delayed!!! Currently living in living room( sounds weird). You make an excellent point however. I’ll try as soon as I’m able.

Funny note, I just discovered Apple has music on my wife’s Apple TV!!! Who knew? Thanks.

You are right about Maynard, I worked for a smaller nightclub ( maybe 150 people) doing the board work. Back in those days artists would come and play to get their name and sound out there. We didn’t have big rock concerts then. Oh, to be young again!!!

To all who choose to be hostile towards me for asking a simple question. Read the question!!!! Don’t try to sell me your idea of what you have. I did not say I couldn’t AFFORD a blue note, nor was I soliciting upgrades to my electronics. I don’t think I want to start with a $4000 streamer. I came here looking for advice , not disrespect. 
 Thanks to those who provided helpful advice. 

Finally, I’ll play with Apple TV today. Also the suggestion about the laptop and Dac combination might work for a trial. My asus rig laptop has a great audio card. My schist bifrost should be here today, replacing my pop pulse Dac. Great suggestions, thanks all. 

I don’t intend to sell my vinyl collection. Many of the lp’s are no longer available and can’t be replaced. I have an extensive collection of mobile fidelity masters, direct to disc, gayle and more. Many of them are still factory sealed. My local hi fi dealer was shocked when I told him what I have. He wanted to buy(trade) for some of them. 
 When I was in college and worked in a hi fi store selling and installing equipment. After getting paid,My first stop was the record store. Bought everything I could afford. Didn’t have a tv at that time, so we listened to music. My collection could be considered quite eccentric. From original frank sanatra 78’s, to classical, to Michael Jackson. I have 3 copies of “thriller” , 2 factory sealed still!! 
  All were stored properly, those that were opened have rice paper sleeves. All have been stored in wood crates vertically for as long as I have had them. I will say moving them has been a real pain. But, it has been worth it. 
  I have a decent turntable at this point, a great cd transport, and just gota bifrost last weekend. I’m looking for a reasonable deal on a bluesound node, or audio lab 6000n in the future.

My house is under renovation and I can’t enjoy my system as I would like to. Living out of the living room stinks. However, my wife is enjoying watching tv in bed!!!! Hopefully, soon all that will be done. I’ll post pictures of my humble system then. Thanks for the kind words , it’s appreciated. Twodogs112.

Just an update, I’m looking for a Bluesound node at a reasonable price used. Other option is audiolab 6000n. I found out that my wife’s Apple TV can stream tidal and Spotify and apple tunes. I have been playing around with this. I haven’t subscribed to any service yet. 
  Also I just found out that our internet service provider will no longer support our current contract subscription. They forced me to change out the wiring to optical this morning. We had no tv, internet, etc yesterday at all. Not very happy about it. We were told that our provider was going to go all streaming in the future (to save the customers $). I don’t know how that will affect streaming audio yet. 
  Renovations are proceeding in my home and now I can see the stereo!!! Hope they will be done soon. Thanks all. Twodogs112.

To all who helped me. Thanks. I’m finally streaming. Got a hold of a Bluesound node2 with the power upgrade and after a great deal of cursing and rewiring. I got it up and running. Sounds great thru my bifrost Dac. Trying out with the Amazon music for now( free trial) that I already had access to. Will be moving on to tidal or Spotify when trial is over. Excited to play, now I just have to convince the wife. 
  Tomorrow, on to installing the new dog door. Still under renovations, and only one bathroom operational. Contractor said vanity top might be installed this week( only took a month to make). Heard that before. 
  Again, thanks all.

Thanks for the suggestions. Qobuz is on the list to try. The Cambridge streamer was under consideration, but for a first was a little out of the budget. I liked the display and features very much. Perhaps for the replacement when the itch happens again. As it always happens. 
  Now for my next audio project ( after I install the new dog door) will be to set up all(well almost all) my older speakers to see what I want to keep and what to let go. I realized last night that I have way to many taking up way to much space. For example, I have 4 pairs of electrostatic speakers in storage!! Funny suggestion on the Martin Logan’s forum was to hook them all up to see what it sounds like!!! Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I’ll enjoy my node for now. Twodogs112, and I have two dogs. A westie and a one eyed beagle, not to mention the bird, cat, and fish tanks. It’s a zoo here!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have to get back to my second hobby. Working on older and classic cars. I’m restoring (for the second time) a 69 mg midget, and a 08 Saab 9-5.  Also on my wife’s 02 Mini Cooper.  I need a bigger garage!!!  Anyone out there have a mg? Love to talk. Thanks. 

Funny now, not then. I once had the right front wheel break off while driving home from work!!! 69 mgb. I had no brakes, but I found that if I leaned over to the left it balanced out the car so I could drive on 3 wheels. Got home and found out wheel bearings died. That car was fun while it lasted! Lesson learned. 
 I’ll look at qobuz. Thanks.