Best streamer/DAC for up to $1500

I almost bought the Qutest. Even though it is still in my shortlist, I am thinking maybe I should go for the integrated solution of a streamar/DAC combo. My budget is no more than about $1500 MAX. MQA is not absolutely necessary. XLR outputs are preferable.

I am deciding towards a Cambridge CXN V2, unless someone here suggests an alternative.

Sound quality is obviously the most important criteria but right up there is also reliability too (at least 6+ years of trouble free reliable operation).

Any experiences ?

Thanks in advance.

128x128cakyol

Showing 6 responses by cakyol

@soix 

Pegasus looks very interesting indeed.  Thanks for bringing it up.  I did not know it even existed.

I guess splitting the DAC & the streamer is an option.

Thanks for all your comments.

@sns

My previous argument was for network Ethernet SWITCHES/Bridges (and Ethernet wires), like these devices:

and NOT the DACs. Of course DACs make a huge difference, especially with their filter designs.

@thyname 

İf you think this thread is pointless, why are you responding ?

I roughly know what l want but not exactly. I wanted to know the reliability experiences others had. Plus I learned about the pegasus which i did not know about before 😄

@rvpiano 

Thanks for mentioning this.  Have you had any quality and/or reliability issues ?  How long have you had the unit ?

I think I have decided on a Bluesound node (or vault for its storage but not its DAC) + Chord Mojo 2.  I like the fact that Mojo 2 has tone controls.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I will let you know how it sounds after I order it and set it up :-)

@williewonka

My choice for the Mojo 2 is because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the product, as well as the fact that one of the the mojo 2 tone control bands is around 20 Hz, which is the low/subwoofer bass region, which is almost equivalent to the ’loudness’ settings which used to be available on older products and not on the newer ones, which I sorely miss. That is in fact one of the most important reasons I flipped to a Mojo 2 from the Qutest, which is considered to be a better (and more than twice as expensive) DAC.

I am obviously giving up my XLR output requirement but I promise I will keep the wires very short :-)

Thanks on all the suggestions.