Best speakers for looks & sound < 1000

I have a pair of New Zealand made images which sound great but......Played them 4 6hrs at 1/3 volume put mute on and off and both bass drivers blew (morel 8" hex tech). 2nd times its happened. what are some better speakers that look as great. (www.totallywired.co.nz for pic images 403)and sound really good but wont blow easily.
fresh_prince04e0

Showing 1 response by classicaudio

I may be trampling the convictions of some of the "true believers" in High End audio on this one but I have had a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Tower IIs for about 3 years and absolutely love them. Saw their advertizing and a few things caught my attention: 1. Designed from the ground up by H. Kloss. Same fellow whose name is stamped on the back of the Large Advents pair I have in the back room. Hmmm... 2. Has a 10 year warranty. Just about the best you'll ever get. Hmmm... 3. Available for free 30 day trial in your home. The High End Audio shops let you do that, too, but you'll get a pair from them for 3 days, not 30. Hmmm... Thought I'd give them a try before making a final decision. Had listened to some very reputable speakers at this price point and at prices up to $2500.00/pr. But after living with the Tower IIs for a week I could no longer convince myself that any of the others could please me more. Do they beat out the sound of those big Advents (recently nominated in another thread as being among the best speakers ever)? You bet they do! And they beat the sound of a lot of other speakers, too, at this point and beyond. The looks? I'd have to describe the looks as reserved and tasteful. But I must confess that when the music starts to "take me away" that I don't do much looking. I just close my eyes, listen, and go with it.