Best speakers around $130k?

Go!

mjbishop99

[please excuse my poor English]

@mjbishop99 (=OP), please, be more specific.

I attended countless of live, un-amplified performances (mainly classical) throughout Europe. It fine-tuned my ear-brain over the years, in a much more effective way than argumentation on forums.

QUESTIONS

1. Musical preferences ? jazz ? Classical ? Rock? (Wilsons are better on jazz than on classic. Harbeth, the opposite. Alsyvox ribbon panels and Aries Cerat Symphonia horn speakers -both OUTSTANDING- can play them all, etc).

2. Average listening level ? (any free "sonometer" app with your smartphone will help providing an answer)

3. Listener-speaker distance ? (it DOES matter a lot). In METERS, please.

4. Room size & acoustics ? (plain carpet? Wooden floor, etc)

SUGGESTIONS (for what it’s worth...). By decreasing importance:

1. Invest in room treatment first. Call a pro.
  2. If an active room-correction EQ is suggested, let it play for the bass only. DO NOT ROOM-EQ THE MIDRANGE & TREBLE (it wrecks them; there is now a consensus about this). I know it by experience (1st experience was with Cambridge Signal Technology’s SigTech).
  3. do not stuck to the idea of necessarily spending €130000 (not less) in a pair of speaker. I fully agree with @kleech (his post). Do not overlook some (slightly) cheaper speakers.
  4. Go attending live performances (acoustic instruments). Then go back to your question within a year; or two.
  5. If you REALLY wish to have new speakers in say 2022, then here are my humble suggestions:
  • Aries Cerat Symphonia horn speakers, 101dB. [€95.000] To be complemented by a pair of active, digitally corrected subwoofers though (by the Finnish DSpeaker’s Antimode processors, for instance) if you want deep bass. I doubt your Boulder will love the Symphonia though. So, sell you Boulder (I am serious). Usually, I hate horns. My feedback here. I was just prompted by a WBF forum member to analyze a bit further, so I took some time to do it, as I thought it could save precious time for others (endless upgrading process is awfully time-consuming; in the meantime, your presbyacousia goes forward).
  • #1 ex-aequo - Alsyvox Botticcelli ribbon panels, 94dB (!!!!), go as deep as 22Hz at 0db (!!!!). My feed-back here. Please ignore the last comment of the person who emphasizes that his Magnepan are much cheaper and give bass. I owned Magnepans, and loved them. But we are talking about something totally different here. Alsyvox panels dramatically outperform even the best Apogees. Put simply, the Alsyvox are not of this world. Period.
  • Stenheim Alumine Three. 93dB. Swiss-made. Very fast speakers. May not suit your taste and/or amplifiers. Relatively compact, and ultra-high WAF, in case it is required. I have been touting everywhere for years that the Stenheims are wonderful. And this year at last, I see that the Alumine Three are Editors’ Choice in The Absolute Sound, and Stereophile Class A speakers (2021).
  • if you are into jazz, Wilson Audio DAW + room treatment project (instead of: Wilson Audio Alexx WITHOUT any room-treatment project). You have a very serious budget. Spend it seriously (apologies if it sounds "patronizing").
  • Idem with Harbeth M40.2 Anniversary, or 40.3 if your are into classical music. It may look an insulting suggestion, given your budget. But think twice. Mike Bovaird, the boss of AudioShark, sold his Alexia to upgrade towards a pair of M40.x, due to their gobsmacking timbral accuracy.
  • (to investigate: Thrax Lyra SE + Basus subwoofer - I just discovered the Lyra (not SE) last week; a bit early to make an assessment, but unquestionably they are breathtakingly musical speakers; not to be listen too close though; big room preferred)

So, go attending live performance. GO! ;-)

(moreover, concerts cost peanuts compared to gear; and streaming music while sitting at home only rewards musicians with $0.15 (fifteen CENTS!!) for 7800 streams, a independent band said...).

Keep us posted ;-)

I toured Egglestonworks in Memphis a few months ago and Jim auditioned his Ivy Signature SE's in his 'office'.  It is a nice sized sound room and these speakers created the most lifelike wall of sound across an amazing soundstage.  Maybe you could find them used for that price.  Bob Ludwig chose them...that's a nice tip of the hat to these beauties.

Somebody said buy some Maggies give the rest to charity... aside from what another contributor said Alzyvox Botticelli are a different world from Maggies, the second part of the statement is a good one. When you get to the pearly-gates, the giving to charity part might be your salvation. :-)

But yes, I like the comments regarding the Alsyvox. A panel unlike any you might have heard before. Did I mention the deep, controlled, tone-full bass?

And the Bayz, yeah, I wish they made coffee. I think ocean liner anchor-chain, but I get the band-saw, drill press comments too. You should hear them if you get a chance, they'll knock your socks off. Really quite something! (The image below shows the smaller Courante 2.0 model. I have the big CounterPoint model enroute from Hungary... in matte black.)

@bobvin 

As Bob and others have stated, it is the OPs prerogative as to how they spend their hard-earned capital. It is unbecoming of those on an audio forum to be pejorative or cast aspersions on those who choose to spend what said folks deem as excessive. It is no one's right to tell anyone how to spend their money. In the end, this type of communication detracts from enjoyable discourse. And it certainly is not civil when conducted on an internet forum. Let civility reign.

My friends and I heard the Botticellis at an audio show.   Playing bass clarinet low notes, they were astounding.  The trio played was superb.   Unfortunately, they underpowered them for bigger jazz.  We must go to the showroom to audition them with orchestral, big band, opera and rock to see how they handle complex instrumentation with dynamics.   Otherwise, fabulous sound, better than Maggies.