Best speaker brands for transient response

Hello all, first post / longtime lurker on here. I have really appreciated all I've learned from following threads on here -- much appreciated.

I've had three speakers in my house for a few years, and have learned that transient response is the quality I value most. I'm researching upgrade options and would appreciate recommendations on brands.

Currently I have KLH Model 3s, JBL 4305Ps, and JBL Studio 590s. The sealed KLHs are far superior in transient response / speed / attack. The 4305Ps are pretty good (I'm assuming because they're active) and the 590s, while they do a lot of things well, are relative laggards.

I am assuming that on average a sealed design at any given price point will outperform a ported speaker in this area of performance, but I'm sure there are important exceptions.

I'm also curious if more expensive ported horn speakers (Klipsch heritage line, or the JBL 4349 for example) may deliver equal or better in transient response compared to a lower cost sealed speaker because they're using better drivers, crossovers, etc.

Thank you for any feedback / ideas you have.

tommyuchicago

@grislybutter yes that's it to me: lively and sharp that some may describe as bright or harsh if it's not their listening preference, with fast bass at the cost of bass extension.

If transient response was the only main consideration, then paneled, horned, or field coil speakers might be ideal.  Other speaker types might be a hit or miss depending on what the OP would subjectively accept.  As always, best to personally demo as speaker sonic preferences can be highly subjective.

with fast bass at the cost of bass extension.

Fast Bass, Slow Bass - Myth vs. Fact see here!

Loudspeaker Technology: Part 1 see here!

Mike

I would add Marten Oscar speakers to your list.  They have ceramic drivers with extremely fast transients.  They have videos on YouTube discussing why they selected ceramic as their chosen material.  Their speakers are highly acclaimed.  The suggestions for electrostatic and Borreson are good as well.

Other speaker types might be a hit or miss depending on what the OP would subjectively accept. 

I agree -- I've AB tested my KLH Model 3s against my JBL 4305Ps and Studio 590s and the KLHs best them in this category even though it has dome aluminum tweeters vs the JBL horns. It's why the 4349 is on my short list against a couple of other options that are dome tweeters.