Best speaker brands for transient response

Hello all, first post / longtime lurker on here. I have really appreciated all I've learned from following threads on here -- much appreciated.

I've had three speakers in my house for a few years, and have learned that transient response is the quality I value most. I'm researching upgrade options and would appreciate recommendations on brands.

Currently I have KLH Model 3s, JBL 4305Ps, and JBL Studio 590s. The sealed KLHs are far superior in transient response / speed / attack. The 4305Ps are pretty good (I'm assuming because they're active) and the 590s, while they do a lot of things well, are relative laggards.

I am assuming that on average a sealed design at any given price point will outperform a ported speaker in this area of performance, but I'm sure there are important exceptions.

I'm also curious if more expensive ported horn speakers (Klipsch heritage line, or the JBL 4349 for example) may deliver equal or better in transient response compared to a lower cost sealed speaker because they're using better drivers, crossovers, etc.

Thank you for any feedback / ideas you have.

tommyuchicago

tommyuchicago wrote:

regarding active design, I know that my 4305Ps really ruined my 590s for me and I think the active design of those JBLs were a big reason -- it was taking all that I loved about the 590s and making it sound more alive.

I'm down to Borresen X2s, ATC SCM40s (I'm going with the passive version) and JBL 4349 for auditions.

You could also consider the JBL 4329p's, in addition to 2nd hand (to stay within a given budget) ATC SCM40 and SCM50's in their active versions, now that you may have identified an aspect with the 4305p's, qua active, that appeals to you.  

In any case, hope you'll end up deciding for the speaker solution the appeals to you the most - irrespective of claimed transient prowess, passive or active config. Auditions before purchase decision, preferably at home, is paramount, but that should go without saying :) 

Yes 4329 and the pro monitor the 708p are cheaper options. 

i would buy used or demos when possible. I understand why people don’t but it allows me to buy speakers above my price range. I bought my JBL 4367s new in the box for less than the JBL 4349 retails for, food for thought. 

here are audio mart is a good place to start looking. 

@phusis  @james633

Yes I've considered the 4329Ps but this is where inexperience comes in -- the 4329Ps are regularly on sale for $3,500 which is way below my budget and I worry I would not be getting the same quality as something in the $5k+ range in passive designs.

I also would have no problem buying passives used but do worry about used actives -- just a lot more could go wrong with them. 

I have read on threads that the 4349s and 4367s can be purchased at good discounts from dealers, there's at least two Chicago dealers I've found for them including Music Direct that also carries the ATCs.

Volti Volti Volti !!

Talk about speed and dynamics. I’d bet these are the droids you are looking for. Yes it is true there is not a return policy. However if you are intentional and make an effort to listen to a pair, the return policy will be irrelevant. I’m sure there are plenty of Volti owners like me willing to welcome OP into their home to have a listen. Additionally one would have no problem reselling as they are sough after and rarely show up for sale used.

If you are within a drive of NE Ohio I’d be happy to host.