Best speaker brands for transient response

Hello all, first post / longtime lurker on here. I have really appreciated all I've learned from following threads on here -- much appreciated.

I've had three speakers in my house for a few years, and have learned that transient response is the quality I value most. I'm researching upgrade options and would appreciate recommendations on brands.

Currently I have KLH Model 3s, JBL 4305Ps, and JBL Studio 590s. The sealed KLHs are far superior in transient response / speed / attack. The 4305Ps are pretty good (I'm assuming because they're active) and the 590s, while they do a lot of things well, are relative laggards.

I am assuming that on average a sealed design at any given price point will outperform a ported speaker in this area of performance, but I'm sure there are important exceptions.

I'm also curious if more expensive ported horn speakers (Klipsch heritage line, or the JBL 4349 for example) may deliver equal or better in transient response compared to a lower cost sealed speaker because they're using better drivers, crossovers, etc.

Thank you for any feedback / ideas you have.

tommyuchicago

My opinion…. Magnepan, Diptyque, for ribbon driver speakers. Sound Labs, Quads, and Martin Logan electrostatic speakers. All extremely revealing and transients that have that “live”  stage presence. But at the cost of needing powerful amplification, and difficult subwoofer integration. Personally, I have Magnepan’s powered by Krell.

You should take a look at ATC. All of them are a sealed design. This dealer is in your neck of the woods. My friend owned the smaller SCM7 and they were real nice!!

https://www.musicdirect.com/shop/?query=atc

Well I did a direct A/B of my JBL 590 and JBL 4367s just now to listen for transient response. I did it in mono just so I could do instant switching through my preamp. I did not use my subs. amp was McIntosh MC462 and the speakers were right beside each other. I did my best to level match by ear and with a dB meter.

Songs were Vannessa Fernandez “here but I’m gone” for an audiophile choice with good dynamics and Stone Temple Pilots “dead and bloated” for a low fi rock sample.

In general the most notable thing is the 4367 is absurdly more detailed in the upper mids and treble. There is also more texture and tone in the bass of the 4367 but that is more subtle.

Now on to the question. Does the better drivers translate to better transients/dynamics? In short, yes for sure without question. Everything that comes from the 4367’s horn has snap and more inner texture. The notes are much more separated. The 590s horn is dull and splashy with no life in comparison.

I found bass dynamics to be about the same and the 590 has less texture. The weight of the bass impact is about the same. Just less detailed on the 590. For the money the 590s have great bass and crappy highs.

The music choice did not change the outcome.

On a side note don’t by anything blind you can’t return. While I agree with some of the recommendations here I complete disagree with others and think they might not understand “transients”.

Post removed