Best speaker brands for transient response

Hello all, first post / longtime lurker on here. I have really appreciated all I've learned from following threads on here -- much appreciated.

I've had three speakers in my house for a few years, and have learned that transient response is the quality I value most. I'm researching upgrade options and would appreciate recommendations on brands.

Currently I have KLH Model 3s, JBL 4305Ps, and JBL Studio 590s. The sealed KLHs are far superior in transient response / speed / attack. The 4305Ps are pretty good (I'm assuming because they're active) and the 590s, while they do a lot of things well, are relative laggards.

I am assuming that on average a sealed design at any given price point will outperform a ported speaker in this area of performance, but I'm sure there are important exceptions.

I'm also curious if more expensive ported horn speakers (Klipsch heritage line, or the JBL 4349 for example) may deliver equal or better in transient response compared to a lower cost sealed speaker because they're using better drivers, crossovers, etc.

Thank you for any feedback / ideas you have.

tommyuchicago

@mbmi that's the second recommendation for Borresen and the 2s are within budget. Gorgeous design, too. Thank you for the recommendation.

@james633 thank you for the heads up, I'll see if I can get a sale price out of them. I've heard from other chatter on forums that they can be purchased for around $7,500/pr if you shop around.

Hello tommyuchicago!  For Maximum detail at lowest price: Magnepan LRS+, ADD THE CROSSOVER MOD from GRS, use the TV stands from Amazon to raise them off the ground, add a subwoofer (or two), use an electronc crossover and a four channel power amp (Starke Sound often on sale under $1200). An Upgrade?  Magnepan 1.7i or higher. Even with the LRS+, stunning detail! The crossover mod is important. I replaced the Linkwitz LX520-4, a superb speaker package, with the LRS+ sitting on dual subwoofers, much nore "naturalness" and detail in my room.  Happy Listening!

Life is a compromise. Don’t make the mistake of giving up one desireable parameter for another.

For example, while electrostatic panels may provide the the desired transient response, you could easily give up soundstage and imaging because sound coming from their rears is bouncing all around the room creating all manner of reflection and phasing.

I made my own speakers using JBL 2241H (18"), JBL 2251J (9.75"), and modified ESS Great Heils and the transient response, as well as the soundstage and imaging, are among the best I've heard.  Of couse it's taken years of experimentation and tweaking to get to where I'm satisfied.

Here's something... This cut should have quick transients that, at volume, slap you in the chest.

https://youtu.be/aLEhh_XpJ-0

That chiming strat guitar line is exactly what I'm talking about. Great song, great suggestion.

Life is a compromise. Don’t make the mistake of giving up one desireable parameter for another.

My goal here is to nail transients first, then on to some mix of soundstage, dynamics, and imaging. I don't want to spend serious $ on speakers and find that it can't do what the KLH 3s do in transients, even if it outperforms in other areas (which the 590s do in dynamics, for example). That will just bug me.

@boomerbillone thanks for the maggie recommendation, I need to go here them. They have an enthusiastic following which to me is no better endorsement of a product.