Best solution to send digital files to my DAC

Hi All,
I’m a novice when it comes to digital audio, so:
I have a very good DAC feeding into a good preamp. I have many digitized CDs and hi-rez files stored on my computer, but I would rather transfer them to a better audio device.  What is the best device(s) on which to store all my digital music and send it to my DAC. I don’t care about connectivity with any other devices; I just want to know what’s the best thing to use. Is it a streamer? A server? What’s the difference? What is the simplest way to get the best possible quality from a storage device to my DAC?
Thanks in advance.
Rustler
Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

for the OP, servers can usually be accessed by other people on the network.  For example, I have a Synology NAS (Network Associated Storage) that is connected to my router.  My music systems are in other rooms, each one having a streamer that is connected to the network by Ethernet, but wifi could be substituted.  The streamer takes music from the NAS and sends it to the audio equipment in whatever system is being played

At the same time that I access the NAS for music files, my wife can download or upload photos on the NAS.  Potentially movies can be be stored on a server and watched while music is being accessed.

Hopefully this helps understand some of the terminology

Rbstenho

if you read my post above, you might see why a NAS is the choice for some people.  Some of us live with significant others who may have other uses for a server, or may wish to access the server from different locations.