Best small, desktop speakers, $500 or under (new or used)

What small, nearfield (3 feet) desktop speakers do you use or like?
I'm looking to fit out my desk with something good but not expensive.
Music tastes are varied and I don't care about deep bass. I'd rather have good mids, highs.
Spending is capped at $500 max. Open to used, new. Would power these with Adcom separates, 60wpc.
Elac? Ascend? KEF? What would you advise?

128x128hilde45
LoL, there nice little speakers my Man!  The concentric design is great for near field since you don’t have to be back a certain distance for the drivers to integrate; they’re already perfectly integrated as they are a point source.  They image well even off axis and they play plenty loud.

The reference series is a step up from the entry level “q” series.

If you like rosewood (which I do)  they are awfully pretty speakers.

They come with grills which on the Q series are optional, not that you want to cover up those beautiful drivers.

They sound fantastic and I was planning on keeping them as my main speakers but things came together that allowed me to get some Carrera BE’s

I already got a quote for $220 for the pair, to upgrade the entire crossovers with brand new, completely assembled crossovers, using Clarity CSA caps and Solen and Goertz inductors with Mundorf Film resistors on the tweeter.  Thats from madisound and it would be a plug and play upgrade.

They had an original msrp of $1200...

what more could you possibly want for $425??
Original boxes, styrofoam packaging, original literature?  Got it!

I’ve even got a bow I’ll put on the box, no joke!

Hilde45 Some if these recommend speakers seem large for a desk. Do you have a size cutoff? Rear ports will need 4” minimum from a wall, if no rear wall this may help placement. 
I owned the bigger version of this and never used it to it's full ability since I was too close to the back wall and side wall. If you have the space check out the smaller version here for $480 used. I think this one has the front and rear drivers but not the side drivers.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649624657-clairaudient-the-one-bookshelf-speakers/