Best small, desktop speakers, $500 or under (new or used)

What small, nearfield (3 feet) desktop speakers do you use or like?
I'm looking to fit out my desk with something good but not expensive.
Music tastes are varied and I don't care about deep bass. I'd rather have good mids, highs.
Spending is capped at $500 max. Open to used, new. Would power these with Adcom separates, 60wpc.
Elac? Ascend? KEF? What would you advise?

128x128hilde45

Showing 2 responses by atmasphere

From what I understand, upgrading the crossover makes a marked difference to their sound quality?
Yes- replacing the non-polar electrolytic in the crossover with a film cap, which is easy to do.
The Optimus Pro LX-4 looks interesting too. I'll look at how to mod them.
See if you can find the Pro LX-5- its a better speaker in nearly every way. The only problem you run into with them is that there is rear-firing information coming from the tweeters, so the speakers have to be a bit away from the wall behind them for best results. But they are fast and quite smooth, although at this point the woofers will have to be either replaced (replacements are easy to find) or the foam surrounds on the woofers replaced (foam surround kits are easy to find too).
Type of music preferred, classical, jazz, but rock too. I.e., varied.
Speakers don't have taste in music and no-one has found a way to make a speaker better for a certain genre, so this is no worries.
Now the Rogers LS35/a and all the recent variants (Spendor, Harbeth, etc.) should not be ignored! This speaker is very musical and designed for nearfield listening.

Another vintage speaker that is a lot of fun is the KLH Model Nineteen. This is the smallest KLH of the original series designed by Henry Kloss and has the distinction of being one of the few he did that is not a sealed cabinet. Finding a set in good shape is hard, but this speaker is very fast and cohesive, as it has no crossover and relies on a pair of full-range high efficiency 4" drivers.

None of the speakers I've mentioned so far need any serious power- 5 to 10 watts is plenty!

If you can find a set of Radio Shack Minimus 7s, they work great for this sort of thing. There are some nice mods you can do them to wake them up. The early ones are apparently the ones to look out for. If sunbleached the woofer will be white instead of black.