Best Rock Album of 2014

Alright rock fans, let's get our annual thread started.

I'm really digging:

Real Estate "Atlas"
War on Drugs "Lost in the Dream"
keithr

Showing 18 responses by slaw

Blake Mills "Heigh Ho" (This is an exceptional recording)
Tweedy "Sukierae"
Toddnkaya: The sonics are really excellent. The seasoned session players are there out of respect for his talent. I'm glad you like it!
Rosanne Cash "The River & The Thread"!

Country? Maybe. This record should be required listening for all!

My second so far is Nick Waterhouse "Holly".
Beck "Morning Phase". This one has to be in the top ten when the year is over with. Beck has made another important lp. This lp happens to be from one of our generations most important artists. Listening to the music, especially the vocals, reminds me of early Pink Floyd lps.

Somehow Beck, (even with all of the studio gymnastics of "Morning Phase"), along with his earlier efforts, manages to make his lps, sonically, sound analog! I wish other artists would take note.
Jack White... His association with Third Man records.. I appreciate his dedication to vinyl.

The problem is the "end product". The sonics are not good!

I'll not buy another lp on TMR until I hear the sonics have improved!
Dgarretson: Let's admit it, as far as sonics and quality of output, JW has slipped. His association with 3rd Man records, while admirable is (sonically) a disaster.
Black Keys "Turn Blue". I love this new direction they have taken. Awesome!
Orenda Fink "Blue Dream".

I mention this one twice because it is absolutely wonderful!!!! Get it!!!

Bongofury: I was somewhat let down by Spoons latest. I felt it was too pop oriented and lacked the raw edginess and inventivness of the majority of their previous efforts.
Regarding the latest Spoon lp:.

Everyone seems to be gushing over it.

IMO, It's a step backwards. There's no SOUL. (Apparently, they took their soul)

They content isn't up to Spoon's past standards! The sonics are sterile, digital. No "soul".

They seem to have "jumped the shark".
Alright, I'm going to make the leap, (not really). I've done a marathon listening session and I am confident on this...
The Beatles Mono Box Set
I hope you'll give me a break here.. from last year... Jeremy Messersmith "Heart Murmurs"!
Jafant: Every one you mentioned I have also. I'm glad I have a friend in musical taste.
Lucinda Williams "Where The Spirit Meets The Bone" !!! Wow, wow, wow!!!

On vinyl. I have great respect for this great American (female) equivalent to Neil Young (IMO).

Her best yet! Vinyl people, I cleaned it and had quite a bit of reservations. Cleaned it again, Wow! What a difference.

You need to get this ASAP!