Best Rock Album of 2014

Alright rock fans, let's get our annual thread started.

I'm really digging:

Real Estate "Atlas"
War on Drugs "Lost in the Dream"
keithr

Showing 7 responses by nglazer

Woods, With Light and Love

Pop-rock equivalent of Rubber Soul in quality and originality of songs and performance. Can't get it out of my head!

Also, The War on Drugs newest, Lost in the Dream. Neo-psychedelic rock at its finest. Moving rapidly up the charts.

Enjoy,

Neal
Beatlebum,

Glad to hear you liked the latest from Woods. You might also like their album before Light and Love, called Bend Beyond. I am just exploring it, and find it very interesting and absorbing.

In a similar vein is the latest Real Estate album called Atlas. Very tuneful and melodic folk-rock guitar band with good vocals.

In an archaeological vein, I have just "discovered" The Waterboys, and they take my breath away. Cannot stop listening to The Sea. Where have I been that I missed this band?

Neal
I have now moved backward in time to prior Woods albums. Bend Beyond is superb, different from With Light and Love but hughly original and entertaining. Their 2009 Songs of Shame is mind-bending. Where have these guys been, and why are they not famous? Sad testament to the state of music today. If I see Taylor Swift on one more award show, or hear Rhianna's or Justin Timberhead's nasal monotone once more I will barf.

BB, I have been a big World Party fan since his first album. I just never knew he came from The Waterboys.

Todd, I will try Mac Demarco.

Cheers.

Neal
True, Martykl. Or like Ryan Adams from Whiskeytown. But where has Wallinger been the last few years?

Neal
The new Lana Del Rey album, Ultraviolence, is just breathtaking. This girl can sing!

Neal
New Conor Oberst must be a contender. A major performance -- great songwriting, excellent arrangements, soulful singing. never much liked him before but this is dazzling.

Neal