Best resistors for use in phono stage?

It wondering if there's a better SQ resistor for this purpose? My new to me phone stage has a slot to try custom values. I need 380 and or 390 ohm. Thanks for the help.

128x128slaw

Showing 3 responses by woofhaven1992

This is fascinating.  So, question: in a setup that is not using balanced signals fron the tonearm to the preamp, is there a distinction between the ground and the negative lead?

I ask because I may have screwed something up. I have set up my load resistors at the back of my turntable, but currently they run from the positive to the negative leads of each channel, rather than positive to ground.

And I have been convinced by this discussion, by the way, to grab some Vishay resistors for this application.  I can't wait to hear what that does.

I bought a set of el-cheapo resistors from Amazon (but still having tight tolerance), which I use for cartridge loading. As stated previously,  the signal headed to your speakers does not actually pass through the load resistors.  Anyway, I can't be confident that I have achieved the best sound possible,  but what I can say is that with these resistors,  my analog front end sounds head-and-shoulders above my Aurender A10 digital front end, and that's with pretty heavy loading (currently 22 ohms).

@itsjustme thanks...I think I'll leave my setup as is since it makes no difference with my Sp14 preamp and also because I'm a significant danger to my equipment when I use a soldering iron, which, by the way, is why I have the resistors installed on the back of my tonearm rather than on the circuit board.