Best reasonably priced classic hi-end tuner

Hi fellow Audiogoners - I am looking for a classic FM tuner that won't break the bank. I understand the early McIntosh tuners such as the MR 67, 71 and 78 are highly regarded but there are conflicting opinions as to which sounds best. I would love a Marantz 1O B, but i don't have $3,000 to spend. I welcome your timely thoughts on the Mac's and am open to other suggestions as well.
Thanks in advance.
rmarcus5757
Best tuner I've ever owned was the tuner in my Tandberg tr2080 receiver. That left little to want in terms of sound quality and reception performance. The Tandberg standalone tuners were always regarded as even better.
Best tuner I've ever owned was the tuner in my Tandberg tr2080 receiver. That left little to want in terms of sound quality and reception performance. The Tandberg standalone tuners were always regarded as even better.

These come up for sale occasionally for very reasonable cost (assuming good working condition).

I remember selling many of the highly regarded Sansui tuners from back in the day as well. They were also very good!
Rlwainwright mentioned the Yamaha T-2. I'll second that! My system is pretty humble but I can tell that this tuner is a cut above the rest for audio quality (the rest being Yamaha T-85, Kenwood KT-1100SD, Denon TU-800L and Sony XDR-F1HD). The audio on a good broadcast sounds stunning with a vibrant yet relaxed, natural sound, and it has the best imaging, and sense of space and depth I have yet heard from a tuner. There is a sense of realism that brings music to life. I think Doug S on the Yahoo tuner forum says that they are up there with the Tandberg 3001 for performance, and I can believe him. My T-2 even does DX a bit better than my T-85!

Regards,
Nick