Best Pre-amp under 5000

I'm looking to upgrade from my Conrad-Johnson PV12. I want a remote for the volume. I love the CJ tube sound, but I would like to find something in solid state if I can. I contemplated the CJ PFR, but I would like to audition others. Input would be appreciated. The rest of my gear includes Meridian 508.24, Bryston 4B-ST, PMC FB-1 speakers, Audioquest Lapis all around, Sterling to the speakers.
argent
I would suggest the cj LS17. It has a remote, built very well, and the sound is just plain musical. I've heard the PV10 and found it to be too tubey for my taste. The 17 has a lush sound and is much tighter overall than the 10. I don't know about the 12. A solid state person myself, I've been listening to my Classe dr6 for 8 years without a problem, but after auditioning the LS17, the Classe sounded so much more 'electronic'. Great value for the money. (I ordered one.)
if you want to consdier a passive, placette or audio synthesis pro passion, both are remote, and both have balanced input/output capabalities, i have placette and i absolutely love it. the rest of my system is in the virtual systems if you want to see under the moniker vintgeguru, it should be toward the bottom.

jayson
Try the Bat vk50se. Used right around 5k. One of the best preamp out there, period.
i recommend a melos ma333/music director. ya, it's tubed, but quite neutral. latest iterations had remote for volume & balance. i went to this from a linn kairn, & lost *none* of the kairn's excellent transparency, detail, & neutrality, but gained a much more 3-d presentation. the kairn, while possessing a wide soundstage & good imaging, was wery 2-d in its depth presentation.

if ewe must have solid-state, i'd look into electrocompaniet or ayre. while i have no direct experience w/either of these mfr's latest pre's, i have heard great things about the ayre, & i *do* use electro's amps, which i tink are great. i also used to use one of their 10+ year-old preamps (currently waiting to be installed in a second system), & it was also excellent - but not up to the melos, imho...

doug s.