Best Options For A Tubed Preamp - $2500 Or Less, Preferably Used To Maximize Value

As the title says, I'm interested in your thoughts on what are the ebst options for a tube based preamp, $2500 or under. I generally buy used to maximize what I can get. Definitely prefer a warmer sound signature, but not to the degree where details and impact are lost. 

What are the best values out there, in this price range, in your opinion? Any expertise, perspectives and experience greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

nightfall

Showing 1 response by pindac

The following is a Copy Paste of a contribution I made to another recent tread.

In a Tube Pre-Amp Bake Off using Ear Power Amp's and ESL Speakers, this Pre' was proving to be more than capable. It was the choice made by the system owner. Not bad when Tube Pre's were available at the Bake Off with a retail of up to £5K and one being a EAR 868. 

It would be in your interests to investigate the Pass Designed Korg B1 Pre Amp.

I am familiar with this design used with both SS and Tube. It is a Pre' that has well documented upgrade options.

As the basic build it offers a substantial amount and has proven to be a showstopper when built with a compliment of upgrades.