Best modern 6550 tube for ARC per-amp

There are a lot of modern 6550 tube in the market such as Reissue Tung-Sol 6550,  GE-6550A (Green letter), Svetlana 6550, Russia Gold Lion 6550/KT88........etc.  What is the best modern 6550 tube for ARC per-amp in your opinion?  (PS: GE 6550A is not newly made but still a lot in the market).

I used to own a NOS black plate 3 holes Tung-Sol 6550 but which has leak and now I’m using the stock Svetlana 6550. I want to buy a nice sound 6550 for my ARC Ref 6 and my stock Svetlana 6550 will be used as spare. Will not consider NOS black -plate Tung-Sol again because of pricy and not sure the condition.

mmbl622

Showing 1 response by dhite71

@mmbl622 
I find in interesting how so many can so passionately claim there is no way a voltage regulator tube in the PS can play a part in SQ.  Well I was a skeptic until yesterday.  I recently got an ARC REF 5SE and wasn't as impressed as I expected moving from the LS27.  My 6550 had about 1800 hours and I swapped a new EH 6550 and was blown away.  I took the time to swap the old one back and then to the new one again and there was no question.  Everything opened up with such better detail.  All the instruments and voices popped and were so precise.  I had read in some thread here a while ago how important these 6550s are in ARC preamps.  I am going to stock up on the Sovtek as that is what ARC ships their units with so that's good enough for me.