Best Interconnects for under $300 pair

Lets face it 90% of audiophiles are in this price range, and very good cables can be bought. I have tried various cables by Kimber, AudioQuest, Cardas, but my top pick at this price is the beautiful new SilverAudio Hyacinth. I have owned SA SilverBullet 4s and thought they were superb....much better in all respects to Kimber SilverStreak, but these new Hyacinths are slightly better in all respects to SilverBullet 4, yet are almost the same price! Best value available today for audiophiles....any other contenders?
128x128megasam

Showing 9 responses by carl_eber

My vote is for a used pair of MIT 330 Shotgun, (however, if you need balanced, those would be more than $300 used, but well worth it). The balanced ones are better than everything else I've tried (except 350 EVO), and I've tried most of them. Don't assume anything else is better than these, TRY THEM!
Definitely neither Alpha Core, nor Harmonic Technology are the way to go. I've tried both, and mine are MUCH better in every way. It's not a synergism anomaly, either...tried them in more than one system.
I've been saying it for a while, but we all have to make up our own mind in our own time, I guess. The HT might work in some systems, but not in most, it seems to me. The Alpha Core just seem flawed from the start (the two poles are touching thru the whole length of the cable, with a micron or so of dielectric separating them). If somebody has tried others, and they just love either of these, then they must really like the particular sound they're getting...but I don't know why they would. There are many other factors, of course. WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO TELL ME ABOUT THE GUY WITH THE ARRAYED-RIBBON SPEAKERS, REDKIWI?
I'm anything but wrong, and there's zero reason why such a "low impedance" design would better pass a square wave without ringing. I'm sort of an engineer too. Creating low impedance by just having the poles in close proximity is the wrong way to make a cable, and using a termination network to control impedance (among other things) is the right way. And Goertz certainly IS NOT the only cable manufacturer to publish square wave tests on their cabling. You need to better educate yourself about highend audio cabling, Keis.
Besides many others, I tried Transparent Reference (XL) RCA, a $2000 interconnect. In my system, it was soundly beaten in every aspect by the MIT Shotgun 330 "medium" RCA (which can be had used for around $300). I'm not saying not to try any of the Goertz cables, I'm just saying that I have already (not the new Pearl, though). The balanced 330 Shotgun sounds essentially as good as the 350 EVO RCA ($3000)...makes me wonder how good the balanced 350 EVO is ($4000). Someday I'll find a good deal, and try some used ones...can't afford it now, though.
Thanks Redkiwi. Yes, the speaker used like 400 neodymium magnets, if I remember correctly.
Redkiwi, I thank you very much! I wish I could return the favor somehow, but I doubt there's much of anything that I know, that you either don't already know...or perhaps don't want to know, heh heh. You are a kind "mate"! I hope you didn't take any of our back and forth (from a few weeks ago) personally, cause that was never my intent at all. Anyhoo, I owe you one!