Best Floorstanding Speakers Buyers Guide 2023 !

The $37K Acora Acoustics SRC-2 Loudspeakers were the Only Speakers Period to get an Summit Award, the Very Best Award you can get from them ! 😲

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2022/12/02/the-best-floorstanding-speakers-buyers-guide-2023/

rick2000

Showing 2 responses by jallan

The Acora cabinets are made from gabbro, not granite. Granite has quartz grains in it. Gabbro does not, and it is the coarse grained equivalent of basalt, where granite is the coarse grained equivalent of rhyolite. Granite has about 70% SiO2 in it by weight, whereas gabbro has about 50% SiO2 by weight. It is also substantially denser than granite, and has a higher sonic velocity. Gabbro is dark colored, and granite is light colored and typically has mica (biotite or Muscovite) in it. I would expect the denser gabbro to make a better sounding cabinet.

I’m a Berkeley Geology PhD, and a former research scientist, Professor, and Geology Department Chair who has worked on a variety of basalts and gabbros  in my career.

Please forgive the beating of my chest to establish credibility, but I do like the sound of the Acoras. 

That’s “granite “ from the stone business as in countertops. In a scientific classification, the cabinets are not granite per se. Lots of stuff gets called “granite “ that isn’t.

The stonework is Impeccable. But the name matters in terms of understanding acoustic proportions as the materials are different.