Best floorstanders under $1000 new or used

Looking for a pair of floorstanding speakers with a non-fatiguing tweeter (soft dome, fabric, or aluminum if not bright) to go in a 23X15 room with a 10' ceiling. Interested in Quad 21L, 22L, but they may be slightly too short. Interested in used or new and wanted to see if anyone has has any recommendations. Any thoughts are appreciated.
prorec

Showing 1 response by jacquescornell

Martin Logan Aeriuses. I'd be sorely tempted if I weren't so happy with my Spica TC-60s. The Aeriuses are a little over your budget though, going for around $1,100/pr. used plus $200 shipping in the U.S. Spica TC-50s with a powered subwoofer make a great <$1,000 setup, and they're reasonably gentle in the treble. None of these are for head-banger music, and the Spicas might have a little trouble at very high volumes. Too, dynamic punch is not these speakers' forté. For vocal and acoustic material at modest levels, though, any of these will give you good detail, smooth midrange, unfatiguing treble, and spectacular imaging. The Martin Logans, in particular, offer terrific detail and subtlety, clearly differentiating the two low baritone voices at the opening of the Manhattan Transfer's "Blues for Pablo" better than any speaker I've heard, including the $3,000 Gallo Reference 3.