Best DACs under $7,000.00

I'm tentatively beginning the search for a DAC upgrade.  Currently, I have Innuos Zen MK3 as a streamer connected via USB to a Denafrips Iris DDC that is connected via I2S to a Denafrips Pontus II DAC.  The Pontus II is excellent but I feel it's the one point where I could gain incremental improvement toward that illusive natural, layered, analog end-of-the-rainbow.  I simply can't / won't spend above $5,000.00 - $7,000.00 on the DAC. The rest of my system:  top-of-line Prima Luna Evo 400 Integrated Amp and a set of Harbeth speakers.  Right now, I'm looking at Denafrips Terminator II or Holo Audio May DAC.  I've never seen an a/b comparison of these two, but both stand out and have a following.  Of course, the unsettling thing is DACs have evolved so much and are still in a blooming state technologically, making it a given that whatever we have today will probably be surpassed by better for less later, like electric vehicles. But that's the nature of the beast.  Does anyone have alternative suggestions in this current climate?

gregjacob

Showing 11 responses by ricevs

You need to convert DSD to PCM and the same with vinyl or tape.  24/192 is pretty darn transparent......it is the sending and receiving and storage that is the problem......when doing it on the fly.....very, very little loss.

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You no longer need a DAC....the best DAC is NO DAC. Please read the Peachtree Gan 1 beta thread on the amplifier board. A guy had a Holo May KTE and a Holo Serene preamp and the Kinki labs B7 monos with great cables in between ($15K system) and the $1400 Peachtree GaN1 sounds way better......no DAC, no Preamp, no normal amp, no analog interconnects, no transistors, no tubes, no resistors, no capacitors, no feedback, no opamps....no nothing....just great sound.......the amp is the DAC. Very similar to what Technics and Lyngdorf are doing.....but cheaper and probably way better using GaNs on the output.....available now. I will be writing a webpage about this whole revolution and will have a link to it by the end of the week......Do not buy a DAC....simply a waste of money. The revolution has started....you can bi and tri amp with these amps and use a digital xover and drive your speaker drivers directly from the amp.......this is mind blowing.

I do have an agenda. I want everyone to be happy and have the best stereo they can at the cheapest price. I have enthusiasm......comes for the greek....meaning:

"be inspired or possessed by a god"

God animates us.....wants us to live our life with joy and love and serve one another......with PASSION.

Digital amplification plus digital crossovers plus off the grid power plus plus make your own speakers are the new paradigm....believe it or not.

I am writing the webpage on all this right this minute.....stay tuned. I will be sharing this with the whole world......this is a game changer.......incredible sound for very little money....bye bye expensive high end.....welcome to the new world.....Dealers and most manufacturers and most people will find this very, very unsettling.....How can a dealer sell you a 200lb. $100K amplifier if you can do better for a few thousand dollars? I will be sending my webpage to manufacturers all over the world.....the revolution has begun....but it will take at least 5 years for most of the people to catch on as most are other directed and not creative and most are addicted to whatever they think is best or just bought........most people are slow to change. However, those who can see what is really going on will adopt this pretty quickly as they know this "new stuff" will give the most goosebumps. NO BREATHING ALLOWED HERE!!!!!!!

What if you removed the xover from your Proac speakers and biamped using two GaN 1 amps with the $600 minidsp digital xover?!?.....OMG.....it would blow your mind!!!

Do not ever trust the word of someone you do not know personally....including me. Please read the GaN 1 thread for the 7 current reviews of the amp and you will see this exploding soon. The only hands on that is important is your hand......Try one....then you will know. There will be more manufacturers in the next year using these EAS (Elegant Audio Solutions) boards, I will be modding the boards for people and other manufacturers will start to develop their own digital amps. We have only just begun.  But if the $1400 GaN1 beats the Holo May KTE, Holo Preamp and Kinki Labs B7s with $1K worth of interconnects ($15K) then imagine a tweaked board or an even better board down the line using super power supplies, etc.......Fun times ahead.

As stated before.....you need no tubes, transistors or opamps BEFORE the DSP chip in a digital amp.....no preamps, no DACs with their output stages and no normal tube or transistor amps......of course there are transistors in the DSP chip and drivers and GaN transistors in the class D output stage......but before the DSP chip there is nothing....but a PCM signal from your source.

Yes indeed....it is magic......and now VTV Audio also has a digital amp that has  higher power than the Peachtree amp.

Let’s see......he is a salesmen who sells DACs over $20K and amps over $20K and preamps over $20K......If he promoted a $1500 digital amp.....he would not be in business (he makes thousands on every sale).....As you know, no preamp, DAC and normal amp is needed with a digital amp. I told you dealers want NOTHING to do with this game......same with most manufacturers.....this is game interruptus. Dealers and manufacturers are down on their knees right now praying that this digital amp thing goes away.......too bad....its just going to keep spreading.....deal with it.

Let’s see......what do I make by promoting these things?.....a couple hundred dollars once in a while when someone sends an amp to mod?

Who do you trust? You should only trust those that have listened without having money in the game.......and then you only trust their opinion as an opinion and not as fact. The only one you should REALLY ever trust is yourself.....why do you care what others say? VTV has free shipping and 30 day money back........just try the frickin thing.......only THEN will you know something.

I assume you mean Peachtree and not Cambridge?  Will be interesting when I get the GaN1 here next week and start listening and modding it.  I am sure it will sound quite a bit better with mods......also, I will be modding the VTV D300 soon which uses a more powerful version of the board that is in the GaN1 and also uses a completely different higher power power supply.......fun times ahead.

Did you try different spdif cables and footers and damped weight on top and power cords?  There are so many things that can change the sound dramatically.

verdantaudio, 

Fired up a GaN1 here 2 days ago....and did not like it....it already had some hours on it.  Then I upgraded the AC power.....OMG....completely different amp....way more liquid and real.  I have three more mods to try and should have them all done by this weekend.  I have never heard such an improvement from upgrading the AC power signal path before.  This mod alone would blow people away.  Cannot wait to do more.

Sorry, I was not talking about the power cord to the unit.....but the AC receptacle, switch, fuse, and wiring to the power supply board INSIDE the amp:....Eliminated the switch (already has a switch on the front panel), eliminated the fuse (already has a fuse on the power supply board (which I have not upgraded....YET), and changed the inlet to Furutech and upgraded the input wire and hardwired it to the power supply board (no connector). I did this exact mod to the LSA Voyager GaN amp and it made it a little better....but this was mind blowing. Probably because the stock parts were so bad and the fact that the signal path is so short (no DAC, no preamp, no analog cables).....so whatever you do to this ONE thang....it makes a serious improvement.  I should have most mods done by this weekend and will post all info on my website.

For external power I am using a Goal Zero Inverter and my own hand made power cord. You HAVE to GET OFF the Grid. Please read my thing on my website about using the Giandel 5000 watt inverter, etc. (When I get the money, I am getting a Giandel....it is worlds better than the Goal Zero thing I have). Yes, the Puritan line filter improves it more....and modding the Puritan takes it further (just now getting in the Furutech NCF jacks to mod another Puritan).

I stated earlier that dealers and manufacturers are NOT going to like this technology.. No matter how good it sounds with all the mods.......it is toooooo dang cheap to make any money off off. You cannot sell DACs, preamps, or normal heavy amps, nor analog cables and all the extra power cords and footers and racks needed. Manufacturers will be hesitant to embrace this technology because they have stock of their heavy big expensive things they need to sell. But imagine what a powered speaker would sound like with tweaked modules inside and digital xover inside.....OMG. Of course you can do this externally by using multiple amps and using a Minidsp Flex or other digital xover. For those willing to try something new......this is the Cat’s Meow. Run one of these modded things on a Giandel inverter with a modified Puritan line filter and have your own ground rod with filtering.....OMG times infinity!!!!!!....and you can make your own speakers so easily that will best practically anything in the world. What fun!

Mods now done to the Peachtree GaN1 amp......This ($2000 with mods) PowerDAC is now outrageous.  Info on Peachtree amp thread and on my website.