Best DAC for around $2,500 or less

What are your opinions on the best DAC for under $2,500?  Looking at the Schiit Yggy or many of recommend Denafrips so looking at their Pontus.  Any thoughts on how these two compare?  It might be misguided by I tend to think your getting a little more for your money with a direct to consumer company like Schiit and I know they are highly regarded for their DACS.  Anything else to look at in this price range? 
mvrooman1526

Showing 2 responses by kennyc

These previously mention DACs have multiple favorable reviews:
Mytek Brooklyn DAC
Benchmark DAC3
Schiit Yqqdrasil

Also good reviews:
HoloAudio Spring DAV Level 3 "Kitsune Tuned Edition"
ifi Audio Pro iDSD DAC

If you can spend up to $3k:
PrimaLuna EVO 100 Tube DAC

I'm not confident you can find a Denafrips Terminator used for $2.5k, but if you do get one it's also worth purchasing the dsp upgrade card ~$220usd at  https://www.vinshineaudio.com/shop

Yes, you can also shop used - that's where I purchased my Denafrips Terminator. But because audio digital technology is growing/changing rapidly, the newer digital components commonly outperforms the older tech stuff - building on what was learned before.
Another component purchasing strategy is to continue to buy used/try/sell until you find a DAC you like.  This will take time, effort, a little $ (shipping costs, tax..), but may lead you to audio nirvana.