Best DAC for around $2,500 or less

What are your opinions on the best DAC for under $2,500?  Looking at the Schiit Yggy or many of recommend Denafrips so looking at their Pontus.  Any thoughts on how these two compare?  It might be misguided by I tend to think your getting a little more for your money with a direct to consumer company like Schiit and I know they are highly regarded for their DACS.  Anything else to look at in this price range? 
mvrooman1526

Showing 1 response by bassdude

As I've noted elsewhere on this forum... I recently obtained a Yggy, which when teamed with the Audio Reseach 5SE preamp, and a A21 / JC-2's driving Linkwitz Orion's, or Harbeth 30.1's - provides exceptional detail resolution, imaging, and holographic soundstage, not too mention the remarkable tone, tenor and texture, PRAT, and all the rest.  I was persuaded to try the Yggy, based on all of the various reviews, which maintain that it competes with the very best DAC's available at any price.  

This experience has convinced me that the R2R Ladder Dacs are superior to all the rest.  

Though, the various comments that the Denafrips Terminator, or AM Trubador III provide a comparable sound - I think a lot depends on the rest of your system, and how well those components mate with the DAC.  I find it difficult to believe it can get much better, than what I've experienced, so far... though I may someday find out.