best cartridge under $500

I purchased a VPI HW19 Mk3 w/ sme 3009 series 2. I would like to stick with a $5-700 price range. I have lot of used records and 180 gram ones, also "rough" records that have some scratches. Is there any particular cart or stylus type would you recommend?
jhorsh
i tried a denon 103 because it had high rating but it sounds dull and cheap.
and it was cheap 120.00
jon
can i use a MM or a MC with a jolida jd-9?
do i even need to use a jolida jd-9 with a mcintoch c-30?
Jhorsh, if you want to have very good quality MC sound with INEXPENSIVE Denon DL103, you MUST build your SYSTEM around it, not vise versa. There is a possibility that accidentaly Denon will sound good, but thats a lottery.

The hard work you do setting Denon DL103 gives you almost FREE vinyl replay - the price difference between NEW cart and worn/broken is so small its almost irrelavant. Therefore, this Denon is top destination four budget-minded audiophiles (SUTS and Phonostages you have to invest to, do not wears out like carts needles).

________
i tried a denon 103 because it had high rating but it sounds dull and cheap.
and it was cheap 120.00
jon
Jhorsh
can i use a MM or a MC with a jolida jd-9?
do i even need to use a jolida jd-9 with a mcintoch c-30?
The Jolida can be set to accept either MM or MC. The C30 has a moving magnet phono stage. If you're going to use a moving magnet cartridge and like the sound of the C30's phono stage better than the Jolida, or if you just like the convenience of not having an extra box in the system, then you don't need the JD9.

Never having been a VPI or SME owner, I don't have a recommendation for you in terms of cartridge choice. In general, I've preferred moving magnets to moving coils and tend to stick to the cheaper end. At present, I'm using a $39 Audio Technica CN5625AL on my Linn LP12/Ittok rig, and am getting lively, engaging sound. The .7 mil conical tip is tracking at 2.25 grams and deals nicely with all my records, including some rather beat-up, bargain-bin albums. I've also liked the Shure M97xE mentioned above; its stabilizer brush really helps handle warped records, and the slightly shelved down upper frequencies make for pleasant long-term listening, never bright or fatiguing.