Best cartridge for modded Technics 1200

Hey everyone!

I recently purchased a heavily modified Technics 1200 MKII on advice from some audiogoners... The cartridge that is mounted on my arm (which is an RB-600 with cardas re-wire) is getting a bit old--its the Rega Exact 2.

I'd like to upgrade, but I'm wondering at what point cartridges eclispe the capacities of my TT.

I've heard that Dynavector (10x5) cartridges work well with Rega arms, but I was thinking about the Shelter line (501) as well (which I've read good things about). These are all about the 'mid' of my price range.

What about $1000+ish carts? Would mounting something like the 47 Labs cartridges or a low-end Koetsu make any sense on this table?
satlos
Lots of information in the Vinyl Forums about the Technics Turntable and what cartridge to use.
Search for Arthur Salvatore and read what he has to say about Shelter cartridges before you buy one.
Search for him on google. I think it is .highendaudio.com

You might be surprised.
Thanks Ponnie--

Based on Salvatore's various 'reviews', I think I'll shoot for the Shelter 501 II. I've seen a couple on audiogon today, actually...

Another general question: is it best to buy cartridges new, or used? Is the discount buying used actually worth it, as I assume you're losing potential listening hours by buying what is, in essence, a somewhat 'damaged' (or 'degraded') product?
A modded Denon 103 works nice as well but it seems like the Ortofon 2M Black matches the table as if it were made for it. I also had the 2M on my modded NAD533[P2} and it liked the RB arm as well. Give it 25 hours to break-in and you will do one of those "not looking back" things.

The only worry in buying used is you are not sure of the hours on the stylus, but it is still a good way to test drive.

Once you find something you love you can replace it with a nice new one when the time to replace the old one arrives. problem is, is that you will probably want something different ...
As long as we're talking MM, I have to put in a word for the Audio Technica MLX150 II. I've been listening to it intently for about 2 months, it's motivated me to get a new phono stage and speakers, and I still can't say enough good about it.

Sweet, smooth, lush, detailed, yet clean and clear, extended at both ends, yet never "hi-fi" boom & sizzle. All music all the time. Great separation and tracking, esp. with the fluid damper.