Best amp for B&W805D3?

I am settling in with these relatively new speakers and find my amp (Primaluna Dialogue HP with tubes ranging from EL-34’s to KT150s) is not matching up very well.  The tubes just sound a bit muddled and sluggish with some harshness or brightness in the upper-mid range.

I normally prefer the warmer sound of the tubes especially with Klipsch Heresy speakers. The EL-34s are very disappointing with the B&W’s.  With the B&W’s, the KT-150’s are somewhat better resolving than the other tubes (at least on the Primaluna amp).  I am wondering if it is the additional power that is helping?  I am also wondering if I need to switch to SS?

I am curious what amps are you finding works best worth the 805 D3s?  I am open to changing out the amp but not sure where to start.   I would appreciate hearing anyone’s experience with this matter...
pscar

Showing 1 response by dweller

It is not possible for a speaker to have "too much highs". What is possible is to reduce all frequencies BELOW the uppers which gives the illusion of exaggerated highs.
My 804D3s are having a continuous love affair with a BAT VK-255SE amp. Give this insanely reasonable (used) amp a try (with a good tube pre).