Best American music of the last 25 years?

What songs and artists best represent American music over the past 25 years?

I am making a mega playlist for my friend immigrating to the States next month. She loves English music but it's heavily censored where she is from. What are the best songs to help her catch up to date on popular genres and show her the best songs of the last 25 years?

Bonus points for songs that cover the plight of generations or relevant sociopolitical situations at the time.

leon471

currently, my favs are
CHRIS STAPLETON 
NATHANIEL RATELIFF & The Night Sweats
EVA CASSIDY

When I feel like listening to more complex music, it’s often baroque era Classical for me. Try following the musical lines of the four harpsichord’s in J.S. Bach’s concerto for they and orchestra. Bach’s chord progressions (with modulations and use of inversion) have more in common with what you hear in, for instance, Brian Wilson’s "God Only Knows", than are the often pedestrian chord progressions in many modern Jazz songs. Of course Bach was not American, and his music is far older than 25 years. ;-)

A major musical love of mine is vocal harmonies, very rare in jazz music, which is predominantly instrumental. But see, in the playing of many musicians, when they are providing accompaniment for a vocalist, I hear them just itching to get to their solo section of the song. The musicians I love are not thinking about their upcoming solo, but rather about the song, and how their playing can add to the music.

Danny Gatton was a guitarist (R.I.P.) greatly respected by Jazz, Blues, Rockabilly, and Hillbilly musicians. Vince Gill made a compilation tape of Danny’s playing, and when he felt his road band was getting a little too cocky/self-satisfied, he would put the tape on the tour bus sound system. He named the tape "The Humbler". ;-) If you like the guitar playing of Jeff Beck, you should hear Danny Gatton.

Another band I should have included is NRBQ, a true American treasure. Their music contains elements drawn from 1950’s Rock ’n’ Roll and Rockabilly (they made an album with Carl Perkins), Country & Western, Blues, Avantgarde Jazz (keyboardist Terry Adams is a big fan of Thelonius Monk and Sun Ra), Pop, Show Tunes, and everything else you can name. When David Sanborn had them on his TV show, he introduced them as "The best Rock ’n’ Roll Band in the world." They were that, but much more.

A little outside of the time frame but they’re still making music- pixies and early Frank black. Band of horses, beach house, interpol, Luna, metric, Pete yorn, the strokes, QOTSA. 

For shame...nobody mentioned The Turnpike Troubadours?  Good foot stomping music and lyric imagery up there with Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell and Stevie Wonder.  I mean, Gotdamn;

Play "Empty As A Drum"

on Amazon Music Unlimited (ad)

"Empty As A Drum"

Well two old red-nosed whiskey drunks were talkin politics
It was time to hit the bricks, it was time for me to go
And I was right there on the verge of pullin' out my hair
Actin as though I could not care less and hopin' she would show

Well my bags are packed and ready, I was feelin' like a wreck
Some clothes and personal effects, I left everything I own
And the last I laid eyes on her, we were in a hotel hall
Holdin hands like paper dolls, aw but here I sit alone

[Chorus:]
Well I'm gonna give it one more minute, give me one more round of rum
Well I'm as empty as a drum, I'm as empty as a drum
Could you spare a cigarette, I hate to be a bum
But here's to hopin' she'll still come, I'm too old to be this dumb, well I'm too old to be this dumb

Well I tell you that bartender, she's a site to see
Aw you'd be envious of me, least you would if she was here
And the kid there in the corner has been spoilin' for a fight
And it feels like that of night, aw buddy instead pour me a beer

[Chorus]

When you darkened up the doorway, I stood up from the bar
Well I said hey now here you are, damn it darlin how are you and you kissed me
Said I can't say that I'm great oh lord I hate it that I am late
Oh what a mess we got into