Best affordable amp for Thiel CS3.6

I have a pair of CS3.6's, which I am currently driving with a pair of Adcom GFA-555II's in bridged mono mode. While I am fairly happy with this setup, I realize that the Adcoms may not be in the same league as the Thiels. Any suggestions as to what amps mate well with the CS3.6's? Ideally, I'd love to find an amp (or two, if mono) for under $2,000, but if it's worthwhile, I may go higher. Obviously, if there is a great option out there for less money, I'd be even more interested. Used gear is fine with me, if it is quality gear. I am also considering modding my Adcoms to smooth out the mids/highs and add a little support in the low end.

Another consideration is that I am currently using an Adcom GFA-2535 for my center channel (Thiel SCS3) and surrounds (AR TSW-110), and since it is nice to have matching amps for HT, I'd probably have to add an additional amp or two (eventually).

My sources are currently a Denon DCM-460 and a JVC SA-600, but these are likely to be upgraded in the relatively near future. Both are sending digital outs to my Rotel RSP-1066, which handles the processing.

Thanks for any input/advice.

Tom.
tombowlus
Yes, indeed, my budget theory got shot through the roof! ;^) What did it for me was auditioning amps. I had my old Adcom GFA-555II with me for a reference, and what I found was that stepping up to a $2,000-3,000 amp had some benefits, but still, there were some things that the old Adcom did better than these amps. Once I heard the Enterprises, though, the difference was shocking. Not to name names, but compared to another manufacturer's $3,000.00 amp, they beat it in every category, and significantly blew it's doors off in imaging and soundstage (which are important to me). Then, I did a head to head, in my home comparison versus a modded Edge NL-10 (retail of over $12,000), and the Enterprises also beat them handily (to my ears, at least).

I think that once I heard just how good my 3.6's can sound with excellent amplification, I didn't want to go back to anything else. That, and an unexpected inflow of cash helped out. :^)

FWIW, my favorite amp at close to the $2,000 mark was actually the Theta Intrepid driving just the Thiels. That "little" Intrepid just amazes me. It doesn't have the depth of soundstage, or the detail of the Enterprises, but it is very balanced, quite capable in the lows, and has very good width of soundstage.

Tom.
>"I think that once I heard just how good my [3.6's] can sound with excellent >[amplification], I didn't want to go back to anything else."

Man, how many times have we all said that!
When will the Madness stop?!?!
A friend of mine has a perfect condition Plinius amp just sitting in his basement and I hear it calling to me from here.
Luckily so far I have listened to amps so far out of reach I have never really considered them seriously but his Plinius is looking mighty attractive.

I am in the business and can likely obtain about anything at cost but this is here now and tempting. Know what I mean?

Tom,I asked about your change in direction as this thread mentions "affordable" at least at first.
Unfortunatly these speakers can really benefit from Crazy Price Electonics.

Whose fault is that?

I didn't mean to get them ......really,I just can't help myself
If I could edit the header on this thread I would. Perhaps I should call it something like:

"Thiel CS3.6's, and the Uberamps that Drive Them" or

"How my Thiels sucked my wallet dry"

Really, though, it is a testament to the great value of these speakers that they are able to show just what really good amps are able to do. The upside of all of this is that I find myself listening to (and enjoying) music more and more since picking up the Thiels (and the gear that followed). And ultimately, that is what it's all about.

Tom.
The new Rowland monoblocks sound sensational with 2.4's, might be powerful enough for the 3.6's as well.