Best $250 max phono Cart

G'day mates -

I'm loaning a friend my old turntable/amp (Nottingham Analogue Horizon, Rega tonearm, Rega Brio integrated amp with built-in phono).  He'll need to purchase a cartridge but does not want to spend more than $250.   He'll be listening to mostly rock & pop 60's-90's.  I also have an Auditorium 23 SUT intended for the Denon 103, but that $350 for a new Denon 103 price tag is too steep for him.  I see the Audio-Technica VM540ML ($249) as a top seller on Needle Doctor, but I have not heard it.  I'm curious if you have recommendations at this price range? Or, should I just tell him to bite the bullet and get a denon 103/R? Thanks in advance!
mikld

Showing 1 response by almarg

Like some other Audio-Technica moving magnet cartridges the VM540ML has a low recommended load capacitance range, in this case 100 to 200 pf. And the phono input of your amp has a higher than average input capacitance of 220 pf, while the phono cable, tonearm wiring, and connectors will probably add something like 150 pf or perhaps even 200 pf to that. So I would not recommend that cartridge for this application.

I suspect the total load capacitance would NOT be far enough above the 2M Blue’s recommended load capacitance range of 150 to 300 pf to be a significant issue. Not sure about the Nagaoka, for which I couldn’t find a load capacitance recommendation.

Good luck.  Regards,
-- Al