Best 12AU7?

What is the best 12AU7 or equivalent? NOS or new production. I like brighter sonics with good treble air. Thanks!

olds1959special

I got (2) matched pair of NOS Siemens & Halske E82CC ECC802S ECC82 5814 which are an upgraded 12AU7 tube, triple mica, made in Munich, Germany from tubes.rs on ebay. They are outstanding but pricey.

@olds1959special , hi sorry for being late to the game. First off Brent Jesse’s sound description of 12AU7’s is spot on. It’s all personal preference and system dependent. However , I highly recommend the standard Tekefunken smooth plate for a starting point. If I’m correct, you need a single tube ? That makes it easier and less expensive. I own 2 pr of the Telefunken G-73R’s that were mentioned above. I have multiple pairs of Tektronix pairs, and some standard grade, all smooth plates. All the Telefunkens sound the same. The better grades have less noise and are closer matched. Just buy one and see, probably be around $100. Now compared to that the Silver Siemens are brighter overall. The Phillips Holland is more forward on the top third of the frequency range. For the budget conscience the Tungsram and the EI tubes are very close at a fraction of the price. I have about 10 brands of NOS 12AU7’s half of which are American. Personally, I think the European tubes sound better. I’ve not owned Brimar or the higher level Mullard, but the standard NOS Mullard are not to my liking. They sound like someone threw a blanket over my system. Also I’m not a tube snob, I was where you’re at about 8-10 years ago. I was able to buy tubes at a sane price. If I can help you, please pm me and we can talk. Regards , Mike B. 

Post removed