Best 1,000 complete system for girlfriend ideas

She wants to buy new at Best buy while I am trying to talk her into high end used? She lives in an apartment. She listens to jazz, sting, Sade?, etc. Any Suggestions?
My suggestion
DVD//CD $175 Best buy special
Speakers $300 Kef cresta 2
Amp. NAD $300
Preamp NAD $200
cable EXOS $25
$1,000

Sub later
lance328

Showing 1 response by artemus_5

The basic criterion for WAF (wife approval factor) or in this case GAF are
1 Is it pretty?
2 Can I make it function with the push of 1 button?
3 Is it small and does it fit in with the decor?
There are those who have posted above who have mentioned these various aspects of the typical woman's psyche. You would be wise to heed their advice. You may get her the best possible sound for $1k, but if she can't get it to function easily you will definitely hear about it.
Contrary to Sean's 2nd post, Do Not let her see Bose. She will think she can hide them and thus take care of the "pretty" problem. Or she may think they are cute (remember small is good). SD has mentioned the Teac components. Most likely the gold anodized finish will fit into the decor better and will be more appreciated than black boxes which don't match the carpet or drapes or sofa, etc. If you can get these features and good sound you have done well grasshopper. Remember great sound is what you want. Give her what she wants with great sound and you may make an audiophile convert. (although I don't know if you've done her any favors seeing as how she was satisfied with Best Buy's best and now it will take $10-25K to satisfy her addiction)
These observations are based on 26 yrs of marriage in which I am always amazed at how 2 people can seem to think so differently and so much alike at the same time.
This may not help determine the exact system but it may help to keep a girlfriend happy, and her happiness will help determine your happiness. YMMV