Bel Canto DAC 1 Upgrade

Here is a copy of the email I recieved from Bel Canto inquiring as to new upgrade for those interested: "Yes, upgrades are now available. Return your unit with a note requesting the upgrade, include a return shipping address with a check for $150.00. We will complete the upgrade in a couple of days. Regards, Michael " Guess they have to keep up with that Full Nelson on the MSB. Charlie
danvetc
Thanks Lak. It appears that there is an improvement and for 150 clams sounds as though it might be worth it. One question though, did you notice an improvement in dynamic contrasts micro/macro dynamics or does it remain polite and evenhanded?
Tubegroover, I'd say polite and evenhanded. However I will say this; those little 5 watt monoblocks were really pounding out some highs, mids and lows, better than I had expected! Its hard for me to comment on the CJ 11-A because I am use to hearing it on a pair of Legacy Studio speakers. Now that I use the Klipsch 102 dB with either amp, obviously the CJ rocks the sound room.
Chucky, I addressed that question in another thread; however, I don't remember the name. Using web tv it's a pain in the butt to go back and find it, so here goes from memory: I demoed the Bel Canto DAC-1 and the Birdland DAC (I forget the exact name) in my listening room (lair) using a Legacy (Coda) SS high current amp, Cary pre-amp and Legacy Signature III speakers. For the money I thought they were both good. I obviously purchased the BC. I thought it had greater bass extension and more detail. I have heard others say the opposite. Perhaps if I used the Birdland without pre-amp it would have sounded different, more fulfilling. Or maybe I needed to demo it longer to break it in. However, I used it for the specified length of time that was allowed. I wonder how much better the Birdland DAC would sound if it had a removable AC cord so you could use a power cord of your choice. I hope this is of some assistance, I would love to compare the upgraded BC to the Birdland.