BEL 1001 MK5 driving Joseph Audio Pulsars

I own the BEL amp and considering the purchase of a used pair of the Plusars.

My concern is the Pulsars 83.5 dB sensitivity as measured in Stereophile.  They do have a benign impedance curve, not dipping below 6 ohms. This to me means a speaker that thirsts after watts as opposed to current. 

The BEL is rated at 50wpc into 8ohm and doubles down into 4 and 2 ohm loads, likely due to a very conservative 8 ohm rating. Easily drives my Esoteric MG10s (87dB sensitive, 6ohm nominal impedance) to very loud levels.

My room size is `12.5 by 14.5 x 8.5 feet.  An asset for speakers of low sensitivity.

I am looking for thoughts regarding the BEL's ability to drive the Pulsars in a modest size room.

mesch

Showing 7 responses by jjss49

in a modest size room at reasonable volume levels the bel shd be fine

84 db w m is purdy low though... 
@mesch

if you are buying at the decent price you can always resell at or near that cost

part of the fun of all this is trying what you think may be good, then finding out for yourself, in your own syste,

way too many keyboard jockeys here that read commercial reviews, watch some youtube videos and the like, get all in a tither then come here spew their nonsense without really knowing without really hearing for themselves
@mesch 

3 grand and up is alot of money to spend on speakers... so many very nice sounding ones to choose from esp. if you entertain well cared for used ones

u have not mentioned what kind of music you listen to...  you seem to know what to target in your search but as you know this forum is just full of ideas .... :)
@mesch

ralph/atmasphere’s comments notwithstanding

i stand by my post

some speakers are definitely better suited to some genres (and usual implied volume levels) than others... in my experience knowing what music you mostly listen to helps tremendously in picking the right speakers
I say stay away from very inefficient speakers.

having been there and done that a couple times in the past, i now do too...

just like heavy automobiles... they can work fine and be very good, but heading in the opposite direction just has too many inherent advantages
@mesch

you are a longtime owner of the bel 1001 mk5? that is one legendary amp i have always been curious about but never actually had one

is it in the pure and clean school of ss amps or more warmed up and fattened a touch like pass or better hegel? based on reviews i am under the impression it is more in the former camp