Beethoven Complete Works boxed set recommendations

I’ve been thinking of getting one of the Beethoven "complete works" boxed sets currently available. The recent sets I’m aware of are the Naxos, Warner Classics, Brilliant and Deutsche Gramophone ones. If you are aware of any other current Beethoven complete works sets please let me know.. The Deutsche Gramophone set is currently an out of print limited edition, but possibly available second hand.

Which of these sets would you recommend? I am primarily interested in the quality of the performances and quality of the recordings. Some of the sets are more comprehensive than others, and include a greater number of Beethoven’s lesser known works and fragments, but that’s only of secondary interest to me. I’ve read some reviews online of these sets, but am interested in what you think, especially if you've had a chance to listen to or sample any of them. Thanks,

Mike

skyscraper

Showing 1 response by scottya118

Sorry I'm late on this. I own a 9 Symphony boxed set conducted by Gardiner and was recorded in the early 90's. The performances are superb. The production not so much. A good DAC will reward you.