Beatles vs. Stones

Which do you prefer?

I'd have to go with the Rolling Stones although I do love Revolver.

And you?

128x128jjbeason14

Beatles because they put an end. Stones because they carried on.

Stones because they had Brian Jones. Beatles because they had George Harrison.

A draw not really, but close, Beatles for getting 5 greats in a row and scoring higher on originality.

If I had to choose, It would be the Beatles. The combination of songwriting by the Fab 4 is unmatched and 200 years from now they will be viewed as the Bach and Beethoven of their era. Lennon and McCartney especially were incredible and that is not to slight Harrison or Starr in anyway. This doesn't mean The Stones are not in the same league, I love them nearly as much but on pure talent all around, I'll take the Beatles to my grave.

Silly question similar to what’s better, an apple or an orange? They both fruit, both are delicious but they’re clearly different.

We all know that the Lennon - McCartney song writing duo & a little later, Harrison wrote some of the greatest songs ever that endure as long as people listen to music.  

No one has mentioned “ Can’t  You Me Knocking?” On Sticky Fingers. You got to listen to it on a powerful, high quality sound system that has a  good bottom end. Frighteningly great interplay between the two very different guitar styles  ( Mick Taylor & Keith Richards)  in conjunction with some outstanding bass guitar & drums.  Put it on, LP or a good stream, turn it up & you will understand what The Stones were all about. 

I was in 7th grade when the Beatles played the Sullivan Show, and I watched the Stones bowdlerize their hit “Let’s Spend The Night Together” for Mr. Ed.  I don’t think the Stones ever topped the Beatles’ “I Saw Her Standing There” until “Satisfaction” came out.  Then it was the Beatles ahead with their greatest period with Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road.  But Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile, all in a row?  Unequalled by anyone. Not the Beatles, not Dylan, not The Boss.  But as a Blues lover, I go with the Stones.  Even now, when I watch Mick J. And Jeff Beck play Howling Wolf for the Obamas on YT, his phrasing kills me. They had me with “King Bee” in 1965.