Bass traps - too many choices!!

Browsed the forum and read a lot regarding bass traps. But overwhelming and still not sure what to buy. Looked at the ASC site; and their tube traps are tuned to different frequencies. eBay sells foam wedges which are advertised as corner bass traps. Relatively inexpensive too. But are they effective? I've also heard about using sand-filled cardboard tubes (used for pouring concrete). Even heard that a large potted plant set in the corner can be an effective bass trap.
Can anyone simplify this? I already have Room Tunes in my corners. Speakers are on the diagonal as my listening room is kinda squarish. So I'm just looking to put a bass trap in the corner behind and between the two speakers. But I want to make sure that whatever I buy is effective. 

rockyboy

Showing 1 response by ejr1953

Rockyboy,
I have a fair amount of experience selecting, positioning and installing bass traps.  I found those from ATS Acoustics to be well made, very reasonably priced and easy to install, I have two of their corner traps and eight wall mounted ones.
One thing that really helped me get the sound in my "man cave" just right was to download and purchase "REW" (Room EQ Wizard) and the "miniDSP UMIK-1 USB Measurement Calibrated Microphone".  I really struggled trying to get the best from my sub woofers & bass traps with a system tuning disk and Radio Shack sound pressure meter.  I was able to configure some "sweeps" in REW, moved the bass traps around to find the best places to install them.  In one case, sliding one of them rearward just about 5 to 6" seemed to make a big difference.
With the disk/sound pressure meter I was able to get the "boominess" out of the room, but it still sounded like I had subs.  With the calibration microphone and REW, I was able to tune the crossover point, crossover intensity and volume on the subs, and it helped me immensely in getting them positioned "just right".  Now the system/room has excellent bass, doesn't sound like I have subs...unless you turn them off!