Bass- at what frequency does it change from sounding like a string to just a low tone?

I have two subs and speakers I like. I have little experience  comparing them to anything  else. As the frequency of a given note goes lower, at some point in my system it stops sounding like an instrument making the sound and instead it just sounds like the sound. I’m not crazy about this, but maybe that’s how it is for everyone?

128x128m669326

Showing 8 responses by m669326

Thanks, y’all.

All this information is quite helpful. My subs are SVBs, So I’m using a low pass filter set at 58 for Atc Speaker’s that go down to 48, measured at six not three drop off.

I guess what I’m really after is when subs are operating properly, or even with just floor standers, how low am I supposed to be able to hear notes as they would sound with actual Instruments in the room?

I am worried that my system doesn’t sound as good as it could, and that maybe other people hear much more than tones at frequencies lower than mine.

Beats me.

I have ATC SCM40 mains, 2 SVB3000s, along with an A308 MF amp, a good streamer, and a good DAC. I also have a very challenging room with no options to improve anything at this point, room-wise. I don't know if I've ever looked at my profile.

So I gather that for the most part, the lowest sounds aren't within the range of  instruments per se, and the clarity of these is room dependent.

Thanks for the links.

Gosta: I have a hell of a time determining where to set the sub volume. Which result reflects the recording's intent? How did they mean to balance the bass with the rest? And what sounds the best to me? you'd think I know that last one, but when it comes to bass... I wish I could discern all this better. Anyone else's experience deciding volume would be welcome.

My room has a slanted wall of windows in front of the speakers, closer to one than the other. Beside that is a rounded wall of windows. The view is wonderful--no chance of drapes. The ceiling is quite high, vaulted, octagonal, with long beams breaking up the surface. Three open areas are contiguous. There is only one wall to place a system and the speakers can’t be more than 18" from the wall to the back of them. The subs can only be next to the mains. There is no sidewall and only a partial wall behind one main. The other is next to a staircase. The wall behind the two mains is composed of different material. The other walls are veneered plywood.

We do have carpeting and the lower part of the windows are obscured at random with furniture, etc.

Despite all that, there’s really good off-axis sound, the speakers and subs disappear, and I’m generally happy with my system, which is a big step up from what I had before.

It’s an amazing home in a beautiful spot, no matter how anything sounds.

Audio rusty: that makes a lot of sense to me. If you were me, where would you have your low pass cross over if your speakers dropped off six at 48?

OP here.

I brought the low pass filter down 8 and lowered the volume by several clicks. I think things are better. When I play tracks that I know have low, clear, string-sounding notes, it’s marvelous. It’s hit or miss on random tracks, which is about the recording itself, I guess. 

The only places for the subs are just inside the main speakers, or just outside the main speakers. I have them just inside simply because that makes it easier to walk around the array, given some other room elements.

One of the reasons I got the SVS subs was the ability to control them remotely, from my seating position.