Basic question about sensitivity

Obviously I am mistaken, and I am positive that this has been covered before,  but I had thought that the higher the number (sensitivity) the easier the speaker was to drive.  However, when I read a thread in which someone is talking about a speaker they have or are interested in, I frequently do a cursory search and a little bit of reading about it, and, for example, a while ago I read a review & specs on the Monitor Audio Gold 300 5G with a sensitivity rating of either 90 or 91 (which I would have thought at one time meant it was a pretty easy load to drive) but the recommended amp was 100 to 250 wpc.

On the other hand, I just did a search and some reading on the Harbeth P3ESR XD which has a sensitivity rating of 83 (which at one time I would have thought meant it was a tough load to drive) but they are recommending amps "from 15 wpc".

What is the number listed for a speakers sensitivity actually meaning?

immatthewj

Showing 3 responses by tomic601

A cabinet that contributes to output is one that moves or is not inert. This can be seen in the waterfall chart. The cabinet is storing and releasing energy after the driver has reproduced the input. Some people like that.  

in the general context of my comments, i wouldn’t overly focus on a single specification or measurement. @ghdprentice had it right by advocating for hearing a particular speaker of interest w your amplifier.

A singular focus on a particularly poorly crafted specification, in this case one that includes trash aka distortion as output, is not a wise pursuit. Easy load with low distortion ( breakup, frequency response, impulse, time and phase ) would be laudable.