Bad news for home theater enthusiasts

Disney is ending all DVD and Blu Ray releases down under for Australia and New Zealand which may be a harbinger of what can eventually happen to the rest of the world. Their last release will be Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3. From now on it's streaming only for them.

It's a good read for those with a big investment in physical media as streaming still can't match the quality and the big players just don't care as there'll be one less product to make.

Are we going to see a run on blu ray players with prices going through the roof again like we did when OPPO decided to call it quits? My OPPO BDP-103 is old and the mid level Panasonic DP-UB820-K is starting to look a bit desirable right now. 

All the best,
Nonoise

128x128nonoise

Showing 14 responses by fredrik222

@nonoise you are correct, I had to look up how many new markets being added so I actually knew what I was talking about. You should try it sometime.

@nonoise  I am not trying to put you down at all, you do that all by yourself. I am just pointing out your ignorance on every topic you have an opinion about.

And again, your lack of knowledge about this industry: 

• OTA isn't for every channel, never was since the introduction of cable, and there are several reasons for this, technical and financial. If you expected to get your fix of TBS or ESPN free OTA, then you are just ignorant. 
  • Growing market and market roll out is two entirely different things, ignorance again. A growing market means that there are increasing number of viewers in this case. Market roll out is that you expand the service to cover more viewers, regardless if they use the service or not.

So again, you really should use google, you have no relevant knowledge about any topic I've ever seen you post about.

@nonoise nope. All I have done is point out that you don’t do basic research or have any knowledge about what you post. Your response has been attacks, which means nothing, and hopefully people are take everything you post with a truckload of salt. 

@nonoise is this where you say there are so many boxes involved in cable and that is why it worse quality again?

And you are still wrong, the absolute best home cinema quality is achieved with streaming, Kaleidescape, way higher bandwidth than a 4K UHD Blu-ray. 

@nonoise  Looked in the mirror much? Here is the post where you state that the number of boxes and cables are the issues with the low quality for Cable TV:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ethernet-cables-7?page=2

And really, price is an issue, people on this forum have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on their systems, but now suddenly price is an issue. Lol.

Again, @nonoise , you inject yourself in conversation where you have no experience, expertise, or knowledge at all, then then you call others cranks. 

@nonoise  let me amend my statement, You continuously start new discussions and inject yourself into conversation where you have no experience, knowledge, or anything relevant to contribute. When called out, you attack people. 

Kaleidascape is a streaming service, and it starts at 7k, which is the one I have, and it has superior quality to Bluray. 

But hey, it proves my point, you don't know anything, and you don't even try to educate yourself, you are quite literally just NOISE. 

I care about this hobby, and I want to get the best I can afford and that makes sense for my house, and I am certainly not ultra wealthy. Again, insanely silly to talk about price on a forum where people spends tens of thousands on a power cable.... 

@nonoise  It wasn't an apology, no idea how you thought that. 

But consider yourself educated, again, about the best video platform out there. Not that it will matter in the future, see previous point about your willingness to learn.

@thyname one actually makes a huge difference, the others doesn’t, yet people tell newbies they absolutely must spend thousands of dollars on things that cannot work. It is not a few hundred dollars.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if OTA 4K broadcasts became a thing?

@nonoise  what would really be nice if you even attempted to google a topic you have an opinion about. You again fill this forum with just pure noise. 4K OTA broadcast are a thing already, has been for years and is slowly rolling out across the country. To me it is astounding how little you know about what you post.

https://www.watchnextgentv.com

@nonoise lol, when called out again about your ignorance, you try to cover it up. Your posts are just noise, useless and annoying, ruining the experience. 
Since the launch ATSC3.0 is now available in every major city across the US, including Hawaii, with 50 smaller cities planned for the rest of the year. Considering it requires significant investment from the broadcaster, it is going to take a while to reach smaller markets.

but again, you can’t help but prove your ignorance with every post regardless of topic, and then you jump to personal attack when called out.

@jji666 like stated numerous @nonoise posts things he has no knowledge about at all, and then starts misleading others. In every single post. Like I posted earlier with a link too, he thought that cable tv quality is bad because “the number of boxes” involved. 

what real discussion? The premise was wrong, meaning streaming is not an inherent inferior media, as proven with kaleidascape’s platform. So how do you have a real discussion about a made up thing?

@nonoise look at that, you do know how to use google. Now try it before EVERY post. 

Again, markets like LA, have had HD OTA for over 20 years, and has had 4k for at least three years. Again, google is your friend. 

I said nothing about the market growing, I said ATSC3.0 is rolling out to 50 new smaller markets this year. 

@nonoise hahaha, in your mind, and only your mind. Well, your ignorance made me laugh finally, so I guess it is time to call it on this.

@nonoise  and there you go again, when pointed out that you don't know anything at all, again, you go for personal attacks. 

Just do everyone a favor, and stop posting, because your post lack any resemblance of value.