Back to the DAC

Just a bit of an update. When I inquired about a DAC upgrade in a recent post, it was suggested that I look at upgrading my cables first. Since then, I have done so (see my virtual system for that). Not over the top stuff, but a definite improvement over the mostly stock, generic cables I originally had.

System is sounding pretty darn good, but like most of us, you always wonder what a more expensive DAC will offer in the way of sound quality improvements.

Many of the recommended, higher priced DACs seem to include streamers and/or offer pre-amp capabilities. I have a good streamer and pre-amp and really don’t want all those components in one box.

Have any of you experienced a DAC which offers the sound qualities of highly praised units like the Mola Mola Tambaqui, DCS Lina, T&A 200, Weiss DAC501, etc. which their only function is a DAC?

128x128navyachts

@audphile1 OK, I have passed on the Merlot. Now I have found a one month old Briscati M1 SE II demo unit for $7500. Full lifetime warranty. A tad more than I want to spend, but...

Or, I could wait a bit for the $2,700 Harmony Laiv DAC which seem to have some rave reviews, without breaking the bank. 

Or @yyzsantabarbara’s suggestion of the Schitt LIM which works well for him. Which you can try out for 15 days.

Whadd ya think?

@mclinnguy great advice, thank you. So, you are happy with you your Weiss 501 in your system? I would imagine the Magnepans have a similar flair to the Martin Logans? Not sure. 

That Laiv Harmony looks interesting, but I hate to be the "first on the block" in case of some problems.

@navyachts if you can swing the Bricasti, do it. It will be a good synergy and a solid DAC. What is LAIV? Looks like the next best shiny thing on YouTube…I don’t believe the hype sorry

Post removed