Back to the DAC

Just a bit of an update. When I inquired about a DAC upgrade in a recent post, it was suggested that I look at upgrading my cables first. Since then, I have done so (see my virtual system for that). Not over the top stuff, but a definite improvement over the mostly stock, generic cables I originally had.

System is sounding pretty darn good, but like most of us, you always wonder what a more expensive DAC will offer in the way of sound quality improvements.

Many of the recommended, higher priced DACs seem to include streamers and/or offer pre-amp capabilities. I have a good streamer and pre-amp and really don’t want all those components in one box.

Have any of you experienced a DAC which offers the sound qualities of highly praised units like the Mola Mola Tambaqui, DCS Lina, T&A 200, Weiss DAC501, etc. which their only function is a DAC?

128x128navyachts

Oh and one other thing…the N200 is optimized for USB so select a DAC with solid USB implementation. Berkley Alpha for example doesn’t even feature USB input. So just be aware and do your research. 

@audphile1 all excellent points. I will further my research. As always, I really appreciate your help!

You as well @yyzsantabarbara 

…the N200 is optimized for USB so select a DAC with solid USB implementation.

That is an excellent point that needs to be emphasized. 

Into my DAC my streamer/player's AES output absolutely trumps the USB output. As @audphile1 states the N200 is the complete opposite. 

For the 20 times the number of people viewing this thread than there are the number of posters, and the same goes for all the many other "I need a new DAC" threads, just something to take into account for those attempting to do some online shopping, and narrow down some new DAC purchase, as I just went through the same exercise a few months ago. I am off the merry-go-round (for now)

This whole "digital front end" part with its permutations can be complicated.

Context is everything-In a demo, which unit was doing the clocking?  It is quite possible those who claim "DAC A was better than DAC B" we may not know exactly how it was setup or synergized with the rest of the system: Was it the streamer/player combo you heard, or was it just ethernet into the DAC, and which digital cabling etc. It matters. 

As always: in home demo's are best with YOUR streamer/player, optimally set-up based on manufacturer's recommendations or users reports. And many are now finding their streamer/players are making a larger impact on the sound quality than the DAC anyway. 

@audphile1 OK, I have passed on the Merlot. Now I have found a one month old Briscati M1 SE II demo unit for $7500. Full lifetime warranty. A tad more than I want to spend, but...

Or, I could wait a bit for the $2,700 Harmony Laiv DAC which seem to have some rave reviews, without breaking the bank. 

Or @yyzsantabarbara’s suggestion of the Schitt LIM which works well for him. Which you can try out for 15 days.

Whadd ya think?

@mclinnguy great advice, thank you. So, you are happy with you your Weiss 501 in your system? I would imagine the Magnepans have a similar flair to the Martin Logans? Not sure.