B&W N804 System Upgrade - Cary CD?

B&W N804 Speakers, Bryston 3B-ST Amp, Velodyne Subs, B&K AC3/DTS Surround Sound Processor, Sony DVD/CD player, Adcom 5 disc carosel, N Center, B&W Bipolar Rears, Synergistic interconnect, along with Kimber. I recently connected my N804s to a 300W Classe, and a 250W Bryson, used a Classe pre, and the Cary CD 301. Both amps created a fantastic sound stage reproducing a real life experience (just like a jazz club). By far the best listening experience ever, no price dependencies and systems in great stores. Noticed that the Cary CD sounded gave a great soundstage and separation. However, it my be giving up a little too much in detail and does not have HDCD. I'm looking for recommendations on going with any of the following upgrades: (1st choice) Cary CD 301 or 303 (2nd) Bryston 3BST to bi-amp the N804s (3rd) 250+W Bryston or another great amp (4th) Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD player (5th) Better pre/surround sound processor I think my CD is in dtrastic need of an overhaul, and I want to get the best sound out of my system. (60% Audio, 40% Movies)
ftbuckeye

Showing 1 response by outlier

Have to agree that the processor is the weak link - a good preamp will take you to the next level. I have Nautilus 805, Bryston 3bst, and by far the biggest upgrade was going from an Arcam integrated amp (used as preamp) to a Bryston BP20 - totally different league. Not sure what your budget is but worth considering Quicksilver and Rogue preamps if you want to spend less than 1k, and Blue Circle and BAT if you can spend more (IMHO). I tried CD upgrades to Bel Canto DAC1 and MSB Link DAC III and was unimpressed. That said, if you really want the front end upgrade, the Sony 9000ES may be another worthy upgrade seeing as you your set up is geared toward home theatre.