B W CDM 9 NT versus Nautilus 804

After extensive listening and numerous increases in my speaker budget, I have narrowed my search to one of the above B&W speakers. These speakers will be my first hi-end audiophile purchase. I will have to upgrade components slowly, but figured speakers would be my first big expense. I will use them for 60% music, %40 HT. Music ranges from Mahler to occas. Metallica and everything in between.

My question is this: I have seen the N804's on sale here for around $2500, about the same price as a new CDM 9NT. However, I have not seen many used CDM 9NT's listed. I can afford either pair. Should I step up to the Nautilus line and buy used, or should I stick with a new pair of the 9 NTs? Interested in any advice the more experienced may have.
brewsky

Showing 3 responses by snooker14

Dbuil:
805N = Cary sli80 integ. tube w/ 303 CD player
804N = Krell kav250a in home theater
802N = Classe401 w/ Meridian 508-24
I find the krell the least enjoyable so it stays in the theater where the Lexicon can process it . The other theater channels are Bryston. Anyone want to trade my Krell for Bryston?
Great post Bob! I am very impressed with the amount of detail. I have 802N , 805N , 804N , 802M-3 and 805M in my house. For obvious weighty reasons the 802Ns do not get moved. Also have the bigger center channel nautilus. I agree that the Nautlius series is a whole step up. I started 20 years ago with B&W and I am still there. My old DM-14s are going to one of the kids soon.
Sorry Brewsky, but I have not heard the CDM9T so I cannot comment. I am going to switch the 804N from the home theater to a 2-channel system in the bedroom soon, placing the 802M-3s in their place just to see what happens. If I remember I'll come back to this thread and let you know . Meanwhile, Bob seems to have the best info for you.
Soundwatts: What are you using for electronics? In two recent threads you prefer the matrix to the nautilus. I also have several matrix and several nautilus and I have a definite preference for nautilus. I wonder if it has to do with our other gear, or just our ears. Both are very good speaker lines.