B W CDM 9 NT or NAUTILUS 804's

I Have a B&K AVR-202 (105 watts per) receiver, and I want to know if it would be worth the difference in $ to go to the 804's with this receiver.
Please help if you can,
rocker

Showing 1 response by eyeman

First of all, let me say that there is a significant difference between the sound of the CDM 9NT and the 804, even when something as mid fi as a B&K 202 is used. The NT does not have the airiness in the highs, and the bass is much less controlled, and sounds looser. Understand, the 9NT is not bad, just the 804 is significantly better. When we originally auditioned these speakers back to back, my friend really wanted to like the 9NT, but was forced to admit that the clarity of sound of even the 805s was worth the tradeoff in bass, and the 804 was significantly better sounding. He ended up buying Joseph Audio 25s, which are absolutely fantastic speakers in their own right, and I bought the 804s. I have these set up with the HTM2s, and 805s rear, a REL Strata III subwoofer, and being driven off a B&K 202 in a relatively small room. I plan to eventually go to separates, probably Sunfire or Bryston, but I have to say the system sounds awfully good the way it is, and I have no regrets spending the extra for the Nautilus series. I have to completely disagree with the first post by AVDCreations. These speakers do not sound better with the bass management set to small, even with the REL subwoofer which is a wonderful match with the B&Ws. In fact, it makes the speakers sound lean and underpowered. I find the best is to set all of my speakers to large, and the subwoofer to Ultra. There is a considerable difference and increased richness in sound.