B&W 805 D3

Does anybody here own the B&W 805 D3? I just happen to read about this new model although it was launched sometime last year. Apparently the long-surviving Kevlar driver had been replaced by the new Continuum driver in the all new 800-diamond series now in their 3rd generation. Is the new Continuum driver a huge departure in sound quality from the previous B&W models which are on the Kevlar?

Is there a significant difference going from the following iterations :-

Nautilus 805 => 805S => 805 Diamond => 805 D2 => 805 D3 (new Continuum driver)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ryder

Showing 1 response by ryder

Thanks for the experience. Much appreciated. Looks like the new 805 D3 Continuum isn't exactly a significant step-up from the previous D2 model judging from the responses here.

It has been quite a while since I moved on from B&Ws. My first pair of B&Ws which got me into the audio world more than 20 years ago was the CDM 1SEs. I have lived with the pair for more than 10 years and owned the N805 somewhere along the road.

The N805, to my ears, sounded a bit warm and fuzzy especially in the mids. In other words, the N805 is not a very transparent and detailed speaker, at least to my ears. From the comments above, it appears that the 805S that replaced the N805 may be the best bang for the buck with the biggest improvement in sound quality (from the N805). Not too sure about the degree of changes or differences between the 805S and the 805 Diamond v1 and v2 though.

Nonetheless, from my experience, I would think that the 805S and later Diamond models are the ones to consider, not the N805, unless the price is too good to resist.